TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
eddugo

Default Anderson Video answers a lot of questions

Everywhere I go people ask me about the Anderson hitch. I came across this video that explains just about everything.

Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I'm gonna give it another go setting my Andersen up on the 3326. Did you have to cut any links? Where did you mount the brackets in relation to the slide supports and the swing hitch?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Looks like a nice quiet anti sway bar, but I guess I dont understand how it can lift up the trailer to transfer any weight, it seems as he is just raising the hitch height. Or did I miss something??

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Instead of a horizontal pivot point at the receiver pulling up on the bars then pivoting the frame down, it's a vertical pivot point pulling back on the chains at the bottom of the ball mount which then forces the top forward and the front of the vehicle down. It doesn't lift the trailer which also eliminates bounce since there are no spring bars. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my head anyway...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

So, since Padgett has mentioned many times (I do not mean this in a bad way, Padgett) about weight being distributed back to the trailer axle, does the Anderson eliminate the rearward transfer?

I don't see how the plate removal is simply pulling the pin. If there is enough tension on the chains to torque the TV frame to put weight back onto the front axle, without using the wrench to loosen the chains, I don't see how one could remove the plate. If I have to use a wrench to tighten the chains every time, seems like it is going to be hard to get the same tension each time I hitch-up.

I watched the video at work, so I didn't listen to the audio. Maybe it explained it.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

My brother uses the Anderson on his 2720 TM and he says that it works like a dream. The socket for the chain adjustment, that comes with the hitch set, has a mark on it so you can count the number of turns very easily, which is usually about 4 to 6 turns. The chains have to be slacked each time you unhitch because of the tremendous tension on the chains. You can also use you TM jack to aid the process. My brother did have to add an extra link to fit the brackets but that is no problem. His TM has a swing hitch. Anderson does sell a chain extension kit. Anderson has a very good installation video on there website explaining a lot of what I mentioned above.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
eddugo

The tension has to be off the chains to remove the plate. I use the power front jack to raise the tongue, the chains loosen, and I remove the nuts with my fingers. if you think of the hitch as a triangle looking at it from the side, it doesn't matter which leg of the triangle you tighten, the hitch will lift the tongue. Probably the most noticeable difference while driving is the no bounce on bridges. You can cut a link or two or add using connectors you can buy at Lowes.

I had a lot of trouble getting my Anderson to fit because of the front slide on my 2720. This was around two years ago and the company didn't have many answers at that time. Here is what I did to make it fit:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...anderson+hitch
Anderson WD hitch
Ecoboost
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Re weight being moved to the trailer axle. This is kind of illusionary. As an example, suppose a TM weighs 4000 pounds total. When the TM is sitting in the driveway, about 14% of the total weight (or 560 pounds) rests on the tongue jack, and the remaining 3440 pounds is carried by the TM tires. When you drop the TM hitch onto the hitch ball, that 560 pounds now rests on the tow vehicle's hitch.

Now, 560 pounds is a whopper of a tongue weight for most tow vehicles. The purpose of a WDH is to move some of that weight off the hitch - some of it to the front axle of the tow vehicle, and some of it back to the TM axle.

The common theory of a WDH says it moves 1/3 of the tongue weight (186 pounds in this example) to the front of the tow vehicle, and another 1/3 (186 pounds) to the TM axle, leaving 186 pounds on the hitch. But 186 pounds is a very small tongue weight, and in practice, the WDH redistribution is smaller. I think that a more common redistribution is something like 125 pounds moved to the TV front axle, and 125 pounds to the TM axle, leaving 310 pounds on the hitch, a very manageable number. The 125 pounds moved back to the TM axle is what is referred to as the "weight moved to the TM axle". Is 125 pounds enough to be concerned about? You have to decide for yourself, but it is important to realize that it is not "new weight". It is simply existing weight that is moved from hitch to axle, in order to improve tow vehicle handling and weight bearing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

eddugo- So it looks like you essentially used an extra bracket as a spacer and pushed the Andersen chains out away from the tongue to clear the slide arms? And you are able to use the socket to adjust the chains?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
eddugo

Yes, I am able to use the provided socket to adjust the chains. The brackets have some "play" so you can push the bolt way to one side then the socket will not fit, but if I keep the bolt centered, I have no problem. I did have to double up the bracket to get enough clearance - one side worse then the other.
Anderson WD hitch
Ecoboost