TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Default Help outfitting my Envoy for towing

Hello-

I'm in the market for a used TrailManor. We are looking at the 3124KB & KS, or 3326 King. My daily driver and soon-to-be tow vehicle is a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV (same length as the XL) with a 5.3 V8 and 3.73 gearing. I need some recommendations for towing equipment...

Transmission Cooler: I really like the PCMofNC kit. Stacked plate cooler with stainless steel lines that connect to the original lines. No cutting the original lines, no rubber hoses & clamps. It's a bit pricey but a whole lot cheaper than burning up the transmission! Anyone seen another kit like this for less?

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/per...mission-cooler

Transmission Temp Gauge: I currently have a SnapOn Solus scan tool (I'm a master mechanic and GM & Ford factory trained technician) that I can view trans temp, gear, and TCC lockup %. But it's a BRICK. Does anyone have any experience with and recommend one of those dongles that plugs into the OBD port and sends info to your phone? A buddy of mine has one but its for Android and I have an iPhone 5...

Brake controller: I've looked at these but I don't understand how they work so can't really compare them. Time vs inertia braking? I would also like one I could mount with plastic Velcro on the dash as opposed to down low. I'm 6'5" and constantly smash my knee when I get inand out of a vehicle that has a controller installed. Suggestions? Anyone care to explain pros & cons of the different styles?

WDH: I have no idea what to look for here. Is the rating on these hitches based on tongue weight? If so, I'd probably want a 600-750lb rates hitch for these TMs? Brand & model suggestions? I see these on Amazon or eBay for a $250-$500... My local camper dealers all say plan on spending ~$1000. Seems like a hell of markup! Even if I have to pay them an hour labor to set one up (still seems a bit petty to charge if I'm dropping $10k on a camper) it still seems more cost effective to buy one elsewhere.

I've done some searching on the site here, looking for suggestions more specific to the TM model and Envoy/Trailblazer...

Thanks!
-Shane
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Problem with inexpensive phone or tab based scan tools is that most only display standard sensors. Good ones (Torque Pro) provide for adding sensors (trans temp, gear indicator,...) but you have to know the proprietary commands.

Since I have a Jeep and yours is GM they will probably be dfferent but may find them posted somewhere.

Understand you have clearance issues, I'd suggest a mini dongle, I need one in the Crossfire.

I have my brake controller mounted on the under dash kick panel and view through the steering wheel. If I mounted the Prodigy P2 on top of the dash, I could not reach the manual activation lever on the bottom & the cable would be difficult to hide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prodigy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	12306  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Brake controller: I've looked at these but I don't understand how they work so can't really compare them. Time vs inertia braking?
Start here, in the TM Technical Library
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2830

Then rummage around further in the Technical Library for good information on weight distributing hitches - choosing, and adjusting.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
oldstick
TrailManor Master

The Torque Pro App works great for my Tacoma. The compatible OBD/Bluetooth dongle was about $25 and the app for Android $5 for the download. I believe they do have a version of the Torque app that will work on Iphone as well. (Could be wrong on this, could be the IPad)

But first, as Padgett mentioned, you may have to search all the GM or Torque forums to see if people have already figured out the math formula you need to enter into the app to create the custom gauge for transmission temp.

I found this easily for my Tacoma and they are not complicated, just a simple equation, umpty-ump/humpdy-dump x .85 + 1000 or something like that you enter in the fields when adding the new gage display. You just have to find out the correct formula to enter for your specific vehicle.

That is only if the Torque app does not already have transmission temp enabled for your vehicle. They probably make updates to the app periodically based on customer requests.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
klpauba

That's odd. I have Torque Pro on Android and I just go to "Settings->Manage extra PIDs/Sensors" and then press the vertical "..." in the upper right corner (settings menu). From that menu I select "Add predefined set" to get a select box for "Pontiac / GM / Opel / Vauxhall" (what is Vauxhall?) I then have a whole big set of additional PIDs/Sensors when creating a new gauge (including a few transmission temperature ones).
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpauba View Post
what is Vauxhall?
A popular car manufacturer at least in England, where we lived last year.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
klpauba

Shane826,

You might want to hold off on the WDH. Frequently, a seller will add it into the cost (or throw it in as a freebee). The seller of mine went to a 5th wheel and didn't need it any more. In fact, he told me he usually didn't use it when he upgraded his TV to a truck.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
That's odd. I have Torque Pro on Android and I just go to "Settings->Manage extra PIDs/Sensors" and then press the vertical "..." in the upper right corner (settings menu). From that menu I select "Add predefined set" to get a select box for "Pontiac / GM / Opel / Vauxhall" (what is Vauxhall?) I then have a whole big set of additional PIDs/Sensors when creating a new gauge (including a few transmission temperature ones).
Not odd at all. I did a little more searching and it is very likely many GM vehicles are indeed already included as add-ons for the Torque App. We previous posters weren't saying they weren't there already. Just that it is possible some vehicles (like my Tacoma wasn't at the time I purchased the App) may not be there yet but still could be possible to find the settings by searching the net.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Shane826,

You might want to hold off on the WDH. Frequently, a seller will add it into the cost (or throw it in as a freebee). The seller of mine went to a 5th wheel and didn't need it any more. In fact, he told me he usually didn't use it when he upgraded his TV to a truck.

That is very true. No need to get a WDH until you have a trailer purchase already set and you know the deal does not come with one.

Very common scenario that the seller is moving up in tow vehicles or they are getting out or downsizing and no longer need the WDH.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

A couple of the TMs I've inquired about would come with a WDH. But some at dealerships don't. I figure if I buy one on Amazon or whatever and can't fenagle one to be included in the deal, then I save a little money. If I can score a WDH, then just return the one I bought beforehand...

I'll look into that Torque app.

Also has anyone found custom fit replacement towing mirrors for an Envoy/TrailBlazer? I'm not crazy about the clip-on style.
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote