TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
daveinfl

Default Installing Brake Controller

I just upgraded my tow vehicle. I upgraded in tow capacity and downgraded in year.

Although my 2011 Mercury Mariner towed our 2619 without a problem 90 percent of the time, it strained on non interstate hills and mountain roads. It also didn't have the pickup I wanted to merge with traffic. So I did a fair amount of research and settled on purchasing a 2006 Ford Explorer with the tow package. The 2006 was a major change for Ford. They made the vehicle larger and changed the manufacturer for the frame. They also added some new stability features and it was nominated SUV of the year. I found several of them available and selected one that looked like it had come right off the new car showroom floor. It was driven less than 10,000 miles per year, clearly garaged, and had a pristine interior with absolutely perfect leather. It had a really good CARFAX with shop records as well. So I am pleased with my choice. Oh ... it has a 3.73 gear ratio and a tow capacity of 5200 pounds.

The only thing that it didn't have for my needs was the brake controller. I contacted e-trailer and ordered a Primus Iq Proportional controller with the Ford 2006 harness adapters. The installation sounds very straight forward. I have not received the controller yet, but I am just wondering if anyone knows of any obstacles I may encounter?

I also had a very expensive weight distribution hitch for my Mariner. It made a huge difference because the vehicle was small. I was told I probably would not need it for the Explorer. What do all of you think? Will it add any anti sway stability? Would I be silly for continuing to use it? Thank you everyone in advance for your comments.

daveinfl
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
davlin
TrailManor Master

Dave,

Congrats on your "new" TV. Sounds like a great buy. I can't comment on the brake controller install, but my best advise on the WDH is to hook your TM to it and see how level your rig looks. I'm assuming that your hitch is the Class III/IV one, which would give it a 500 lb tongue weight capacity. If by chance it's the Class II hitch, you have a 350 lb capacity. I don't know what a 2619 ACTUAL tongue weight is (it's certainly more than what's listed at the TM specs sheet), but you should have enough tongue weight capacity that you don't have to worry about the WDH if you're happy with the level.

Some WDH's do have integrated sway control. If yours does not, it is definitely a matter of opinion as to whether a WDH adds any additional sway control. You will get arguments both ways in this forum.

I bet you can't wait to take your first trip with the new rig!

Dave
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
daveinfl

Thanks Davlin. Tongue weight is 500 lbs. I did my research. Should receive the controller tomorrow. Will let everyone know how the install goes. Thanks again.
with tow package
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Does it have a Bargman connector (7 pin round) at the hitch. If so I would expect the brake controller wiring to be tucked under the dash. If so it is plug and go (my GC was).

Does anyone know where the plug is on an '06 Exploder ?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
daveinfl

Yes Padgett. Everything is factory installed. I'm hoping it will go easy. I will let everyone know. Thanks.

daveinfl
with tow package
Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have my controller mounted under the dash so is easily reached and I can see the display through the steering wheel when going straight ahead.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
shebantam

We have been having a serious power drain in our f150 small v8, we would wake up to a dead battery.

We had a diagnostic for the electrical system ran today, the culprit is my prodigy brake contoller. Seem it keeps cycling power even when there is nothing attached.

Going to have to mount the controller so I can unplug when not towing. I have heard of using industrial strength velcro to mount unde dash. This allows the same controller to be used for multiple vehicles.

This was dealer installed after we got the truck and have had problems with the battery draining all along.

Tomorrow we get a new battery for the truck and super duper velcro so I can easily get to the plug in the prodigy.
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I would say there is a problem with the wiring, as I have left my P3 controller in for two weeks between trips, with no adverse affect. I would take it back to wherever it was installed, and let them know there is a problem. They should not be draining the battery if properly wired.

Any Velcro I have put anywhere on my dash (industrial strength included) has melted off in the head of summer. Nothing stays mounted through the summer months. I put the Velcro on, then also used two screws. I am going to keep the Jeep until it is wholesale value, so whoever gets it next won't mind a couple small holes under the dash.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I too have the same controller and leave it connected. It took me some time, but found on the company website that leaving it installed and connected should not drain your battery. I don't remember the exact amount of power, but it is minuscule. I agree with LTC, go back to the installer.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have a 2003 Expedition and it has the connector under the dash on the driver side (right of the steering wheel). Installation was easy.

We use a WDH with the Expedition even though it may not be strictly required. Works well.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote