TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I've noticed that the current batch of mid-size SUVs (like Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Traverse) quote a standard 2,000 lb tow capacity but a 5,000 lb tow capacity with their tow package. I'm skeptical on how a tow package can more than double the tow capacity."

I can think of several reasons:
1) Factory hitch on mine is a Class IV receiver that slides inside the frame rail rather than being underslung (why I need a 3.5" drop to put the hitch ball at 20") All I can say is that the receiver took most of the impact that totalled the full sized Ford 150 that rearended me back in '12 without taking any material damage.
To mount the receiver required a special cut out fascia panel.
2) Most factory packages include things like rear load levellers, heavy duty radiator, alternator, & extra oil and trans coolers all of which add to the towing capacity. Many also include a lower axle ratio and different wheels and tires.
3) Factory hitch includes a Bargman connector and wiring for the brake controller

So before you doubt that a factory package can double the towing capacity, review just what the package includes, it will be more than just a hitch.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
I disagree; our 4R with Toyota V6 and 5-AT (no blower) has been really great. Other V6 engines (such as our Subaru) are much less capable, but I think that you're painting with too broad a brush (IMO, of course).
Fair enuf, but everybody has their own comfort level, when it comes to how much weight a vehicle should tow. I have always preferred to have a little more separation between, what the max towing capability of a vehicle is versus the actual weight being towed.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #23
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Before you buy, use this calculator to confirm that the TV will not be over its limits. Just looking at what the manufacturer says it can tow is very misleading. I have an Avalanche that is suppose to be able to tow 6800 pounds, but I max out at around 5500 with this calculator if I want to stay in the safe range.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #24
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Good example Funpilot. A lot of owners don't calculate a safety margin into this formula. A TM also has a higher tongue weight than most TT's. When my 2720 is packed ready for camping, it is close to 4,000lbs, with a 450lb tongue weight. Your 3124 could be closer to 4,500lbs or more with over a 550lb tongue weight when loaded.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Good conservative guidelines for those who need to ask.

We are all different. I carry most of the provisions and such in the TV. Will admit there are times when I wish it was a tandem axle trailer just for the safty margin (like twin engine boats and planes also but grew up on the Carribean) & would not want more than a 2922KS.

This is an area where I think TM advertising plays a little fast and loose with the facts and have wondered why the official specs for my 2720SL (dry weight 2865 lbs) does not match the sticker under the sink (UVW - Unloaded Vehicle Weight 3243 lbs) and the official tongue weight (392 lbs) is different from actual (460 lbs) Without AC or battery maybe ?

That said I must admit to having towed a lot more with a lot less but then having done quite a bit of road racing in my yout, I tend to "drive gentle" (doesn't make sense ? Would it help to know that when you are going really fast & is quite different from what most think of as "fast" it really feels a lot like you are driving on ice & anything sudden is wrong. It also taught me to always drive a few hundred yards in front of the car because what you are doing now affect how it will act then.

In fact for the fortunate few there is "fast" then there is a really undrivable region, and then for the artists there is a "really fast" plateau where to the bystander it really looks slow just the car is always in exactly the right spot and pointed in the right direction. It is magical.

Kinda like what great artists say to neophytes "if you have to ask, then do this..."

ps I also like to know exactly what is going on. (and that is just one of three pages).

Old 06-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Good example Funpilot. A lot of owners don't calculate a safety margin into this formula. A TM also has a higher tongue weight than most TT's. When my 2720 is packed ready for camping, it is close to 4,000lbs, with a 450lb tongue weight. Your 3124 could be closer to 4,500lbs or more with over a 550lb tongue weight when loaded.
I know my tongue weight is 615 pounds and I think the TM is around 4300 pounds when packed. I get the extra weight because my battery is up front.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #27
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I feel very good with the toyota Highlander numbers for three reasons and have no concern taking it to 100% of it's 5K limit.

1) Experience with it has been great.

2) I looked at the tow prep and was very impressed with the trans cooler, oil cooler and the fact it had a larger radiator and larger fans. The trans cooler is larger than any B&M double stack cooler I have ever installed. I also think it has a larger alternator, but that is of no concern for me.

3) but the most impressive thing is the tow ratting conforms to the tough testing requirements of the SAE - J2807 standard. I figured it it could pass the DAM - dam test and all the other test with a 5K trailer. I have no concern going to the limit with the TV/Camper how I drive it.

Testing requirements:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...-the-standard/
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #28
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Like I said, we all have our own comfort level; however the safety margin isn't necessarily for normal driving conditions, it's for the event of an emergency,such as a panic stop or an evasive maneuver.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think with the SAE - J2807 standard, the safety margins are built into the numbers. I will never take it to the extremes of the testing requirements, expect an emergency.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
mecicon
TrailManor Master

^^^^^^Lots of good advice above^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Opinions are going to be biased.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote