TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Default Searching for a TV

My wife's Jimmy is finally showing signs of age (250K+) and we also need to carry 6 bodies. 2 small grandkids, 1 teenager and 3 adults, I'm by far the biggest at 185. The wife doesn't want a pickup or a Suburban size vehicle so it's coming down to a Dodge Durango or a Ford Explorer.
The Explorer has the 3.5L Ecoboost V-6 and 6 speed selectable automatic transmission. Tow rated for 5000 lbs. 4 WD.
The Durango has a 3.6L engine and a 5 speed selectable automatic transmission. Also rated at 5000lbs towing. AWD
Looked at the Highlander and did not like the way it sat + I had to dive into it to get in. Not near as flexible as I used to be. Plus, for the passengers in the way back, it looked like a challenge to get in, kid or not.
No place close by, within 30 mi., to get anything else serviced so Honda, Nissan etc. are out.
We have a 2720 and live in the VA so, while we have nothing like the western mountains, WV and the roads going there can be fair steep ( Afton Mtn on I-64, for those that know it) Not to mention PA.
Any thoughts out there?
For long trips with just the wife and I, I'll use the Sierra.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I think the Eco-boost engine in the Explorer is the same as I have in my F-150. If it is, you will be absolutely amazed at the power when towing. And if you keep your foot off the pedal, the mileage should be reasonable. This is my first Ford, but I am quite impressed with the overall quality and fit and finish. I have owned several Chrysler products in years past, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and two mini-vans as well as a LaBaron and Dodge Shadow and their quality was just not quite there. Granted, this was 15 years ago and things may have improved. Really about the only thing that has bugged me is the cruise control is not intuitive and you almost always have to look down for a second to see which button to push. Not that bad, but way better realized on our VW Tiguan.
Hope this helps.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Tampajohn

Interesting Thread. We are thinking along the same lines as you. Currently we are pulling with an old Isuzu and the towing capacity is suppose to be 4500 lbs. We have been on the road since Nov. 11 and covered close to 6000 miles. The Isuzu has had it hands full trying to make some of the grades through the mountains. I am still questioning if 5000 lb towing capacity as you mentioned is enough. We carry a lot of extra stuff especially planning on being gone for 4 months. When we get home in April, I am starting the process of searching for a new vehicle. Another thing we are contemplating is the possibility of some point in the future of maybe purchasing an Elkmont if I can find one. (getting tired of setting up the the TM). This again will cause more wind drag. I will follow your thread closely. We will not buy new. Our current gas mileage has ranged from 12 mpg to 15 with wind being a major factor. Wife is concerned about driving a 3/4 ton van, but I am thinking about the van just to provide more storage for us and the dogs especially when on the road for 4 months. I might just keep the old Isuzu since it is not worth much and runs great and possibly buy a passenger van to pull the TM. especially buying used, I think the Durango might be a better buy than the Ford since they are not as popular. I have searched them on Craigslist and found a few which seem to sell for less than the Ford. Transmission is a big concern since I have had to replace two on the Isuzu at $1800 each. Thanks for post and will follow.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

This post won't help your situation with 6 bodies, but maybe someone else has need for fewer seats.

I had been towing our popup (1500 lbs, about) with my 4.7L V-8 2004 Grand Cherokee. Worked great, even going into the mountains, up, up, up.

I bought my 2417 two years ago. Towed it (empty) from Colorado Springs to Denver along I-25. Not many hills, but some definite grades. I knew right then that I would not be happy when it was loaded with gear.

So, I used the wife's 2006 5.7L Hemi V-8 Grand Cherokee to tow it on a trip into the mountains. Had to keep my foot into it to keep up with traffic on 55 mph and 65 mph roads. 14 mpg. Not pleased.

Traded my '04 for a diesel Grand Cherokee. 3L V-6. What a huge difference! Much more power, even with the same torque rating. 15 mpg worst-case when towing, 18 mpg when towing on flats.

My point is, be wary of V-6 gas engines. My 2417 is 3,300# loaded. I would not recommend anyone using a V-6 for a 2417, much less for a 2720. Yes, they may be more powerful now, but since neither V-8 could hold 65 on I-25 with my 2417, I would be skeptical. I love my diesel, and won't tow with anything else going-forward. As long as I have a TT, I will have a diesel to tow with. Just my opinion.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Well, I'm pretty sure I could hit 90 mph going up I-70 pulling my 2922Kd with the Eco-boost V-6. And with no strain.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I will second that opinion,Mark. The twin turbo Ecoboost will out tow most vehicles on the market and get decent MPG's doing it.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Going to the Ford dealership tomorrow to "borrow" that Explore overnight. Let the Boss have a good look at it since it's going to her's. We'll see how it goes.

Marko, I can agree with your opinion of the Dodge products. Had but 1 experience with a Dodge truck and it was less than good. Plus, the vehicles I drove for work were Dodge products and I always thought that they did not stand the test of time.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Good to know the Ecoboost are good, powerful engines. I had not heard from anyone that actually had one, just people looking at them, and reading specs.

If the small Ecoboost can tow with strength, then great for Ford! Glad they are finally tuning for towing, and not just mileage.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
FujiPedaler

We use a 2006 Toyota 4Runner v-8 rated @ 5000# or 6500# with WDH which we have and pull a 3326 King.

Took it to Southern Utah last Spring and back over the mountains (12,000ft ) on the way from Grand Junction to Denver and was very satisfied with the handling.

12 to 15 mpg but on the hills I don't try and do 65mph but we took the scenic route and I like to look about.

When on the flats, I have to care to hold the speed down to the recommended max speed on the tire rating of 65mph.

Over all, very satisfied with the 4Runner, yes seating is different but after 5 weeks on the it was fine, (I am 6ft 1in and 210) and bought it used with 68,000 and now have 98,000. Driving to Phoenix in Feb and then on to the west coast and we live in Minneapolis MN.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year and safe travels.

Norman
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Norman,

Did the '06 4runner V-8 come with a Class1V hitch or did you upgrade your rig?
A 3326 loaded must have close to a 600 to 650 lb.+ tongue weight, which would make a Class 1V reciever manditory.

Climbing those moutain grades must take patience. A Buddy of mine tows an Alpine with a newer V-6 Prerunner and he has trouble staying at 35 to 40MPH going up Deadman's Summit in the Eastern Sierra's and that one tops out at only 8,100 ft.; however he brings alot of gear with him.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote