TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Torque wrench use on hitch ball

The 1000/10000 pound Equal-i-zer hitch I bought uses a ball with a 1.25 inch diameter shaft. The tag on the ball states that it needs to be tightened to 415 lb-ft, and this tightness needs to be checked daily. Wrenches that will measure this amount of torque appear to cost at least $400 to 500. Is this sort of expense necessary? Looking at the size of the shaft and its nut, and the heft of the hitch head that it will be attached to, it appears to me that I could not possibly tighten it too tightly, with or without a torque wrench. That is, I am not going to get it any tighter with a torque wrench than without one. Is this thinking sound? How do you with similar hitches handle this situation? Thanks for any advice. Tim
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Torque wrench use on hitch ball

I use my calibrated wrist.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
Windbreaker

Just put that sucker on there and one or two really good yanks. Your arms will not produce that poundage, your legs will go over it. I gave mine a really good yank a year ago and will give it another one in the spring, But I know it will not move. Make sure you put a locking washer on it.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
camperboy

I have an Equalizer. When I got the hitch I went and got the proper size ball (shank). I had the shop I got the ball from put it on. They used a big deep socket and breaker bar. Yanked on it with all thier might and it hasn't loosened since, in almost 2 years and probably 8,000 miles of towing. Daily seems excessive to me, but it may be a case of CYA for the company. Use your best judgement.

I do keep a torque wrench for the wheel lugs and for the two nuts for the sway/spring bars on the Equalizer (one on each side on top). They have to be kept at 45 ft/lbs and I have had them loosen up with use. My torque wrench is 1/2" drive, Craftsman and goes up to 150 ft/lb.

I have been very pleased with the Equalizer. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

Camperboy
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Happytrails

Another, albit more permenant, option is to tighten it as much as humanly possible, take it to a welding shop, and have them spot weld the nut in a few places. I'm sure it wouldn't cost very much at all, and that way, you will "KNOW" it won't come loose.....ever........Just a thought.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]