TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
sandymacd

Default Tire Options In Canada Please

Hi,
Marathon, Carisle and BCT... Currently, that is about all I can come up with. We can't get Maxxis tires here in Ontario. Any help would be appreciated - our 'new to us' TM really needs some new ones fast.
Thanks!
Sandy
"Sometimes You're The Dog, Sometimes You're The Hydrant."
sandymacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

We have Marathons on our 2011 which have about 8000 kms on them without any problems and they run quiet cool even in hot weather crossing the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver Island. They are a little pricier but seem to do the job well. Just remember that 5 years is about the max you should use them before changing and not the thread wear.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

I'm not familiar with "BCT," but you should get good service from either the Marathon or the Carlisle. Just please (re-)read the threads concerning proper inflation, tire age (don't buy old tires!), loaded weight and speed. I've got Carlisle's on mine and have been very happy. Mine are Load Range E, which are supposed to be inflated to 80 psi. Running them at that pressure was fine until I installed my weight distributing hitch. Now, with the transfer of weight back to the trailer axle, I'm getting a lot of stuff bouncing around inside the trailer due to the stiffer tires. I'm probably going to cut back some on the tire pressure, but even if I end up running them closer to Load Range D (65 psi), I will still be under the rated capability of the tire for my axle weight.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymacd View Post
Hi,
Marathon, Carisle and BCT... Currently, that is about all I can come up with. We can't get Maxxis tires here in Ontario. Any help would be appreciated - our 'new to us' TM really needs some new ones fast.
Thanks!
Sandy
Just googled "Maxxis Ontario" and came up with some links.
Got this from their Canadian Home Page:
Quote:
Maxxis International - Canada
400-C Chrysler Drive
Brampton, Ontario
Canada L6S 5Z5
TEL :905-789-0882
FAX :905-789-1507
EMAIL: [email protected]
I would give them a call about a local dealer. Here's the link for somebody near Pembroke: Pembroke Maxxis dealer

But, actually, my Goodyear Marathons 225/75R15D's have held up well over the last 30,000 kms or so. I do rotate them with the spare and keep them at 65-70psi.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
sandymacd

HI,
Thank you for the info.
I already called Maxxis and they only have 1 distributor for trailer tires in Canada and that is in B.C. (opposite end of the country from me). Maxxis said I should purchase their trailer tires in the US. There are many Maxxis dealers in Canada but mostly for ATV and bicycle tires. <sigh>
So back to square one for me.
Sandy
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
sandymacd

Responding to prior post: BCT trailer tires are what we have available at Costco - another China made tire... Beijing Capital Tires
Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymacd View Post
HI,
Thank you for the info.
I already called Maxxis and they only have 1 distributor for trailer tires in Canada and that is in B.C. (opposite end of the country from me). Maxxis said I should purchase their trailer tires in the US. There are many Maxxis dealers in Canada but mostly for ATV and bicycle tires. <sigh>
So back to square one for me.
Sandy
Well, that's irritating. And getting stuff across the border can be expensive and painful. That's the only complaint I've heard about Maxxis: their poor distribution network. In the states you can get them by mail pretty easily even if your local dealer doesn't stock them. But if you're on the road and need to replace a single tire, they can be hard to find locally and quickly.

Maybe a reason to consider Goodyear Marathons, unless you wanted to go up to an E rated tire, which I don't think Goodyear makes.