TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Bflo P&J

Unhappy Towing Questions

I'm a newbie.

Recently purchased used 2720 (solar, 2 golf cart batteries, 40 gal fresh water, propane tanks moved way up near the front of the swing away hitch) from a private seller 600 miles away... Before making the trip, had TrailManor dealer located 200 miles away check my vehicle (07 Kia Sorrento V-6, after-market hitch, towing capacity 5,000 lb, max tongue weight 500 lb) and add brake controller and wiring harness.

When I hitched up the TM, the back of my vehicle dropped to about a foot off the ground. I bought a hitch with a 6" rise in it and cautiously made the trip home. Using the bathroom-scale method, I figure the tongue weight to be 675 lbs. Went to a local RV dealer to inquire about a WD hitch and was told there is nothing that will fit the swing-away hitch and, even if there was, it would not allow me to safely tow something with a tongue weight almost 200 lb over the maximum capacity for my vehicle.

The TM dealer in Ohio sells Eaz-Lift WD hitches but cannot make a recommendation without having the TV and TM there, which makes sense to me. I am very worried about making a 200 mile trip with the setup I now have.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this and been able to solve it? I bought the Kia because of it being able to tow 5000 lbs and really can't afford to trade it in to buy a pickup truck big enough to handle this tongue weight...

It pains me to know I am going nowhere except my driveway with the TM I've been dreaming about for years. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bflojimmy
2011 TM2720
TV 2007 Kia Sorrento V-6
Bflo P&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

this has been said before, and solved also ,
mybe this will help,
remain calm all will be ok

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14140

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflo P&J View Post
I'm a newbie.

Recently purchased used 2720 (solar, 2 golf cart batteries, 40 gal fresh water, propane tanks moved way up near the front of the swing away hitch) from a private seller 600 miles away... Before making the trip, had TrailManor dealer located 200 miles away check my vehicle (07 Kia Sorrento V-6, after-market hitch, towing capacity 5,000 lb, max tongue weight 500 lb) and add brake controller and wiring harness.

When I hitched up the TM, the back of my vehicle dropped to about a foot off the ground. I bought a hitch with a 6" rise in it and cautiously made the trip home. Using the bathroom-scale method, I figure the tongue weight to be 675 lbs. Went to a local RV dealer to inquire about a WD hitch and was told there is nothing that will fit the swing-away hitch and, even if there was, it would not allow me to safely tow something with a tongue weight almost 200 lb over the maximum capacity for my vehicle.

The TM dealer in Ohio sells Eaz-Lift WD hitches but cannot make a recommendation without having the TV and TM there, which makes sense to me. I am very worried about making a 200 mile trip with the setup I now have.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this and been able to solve it? I bought the Kia because of it being able to tow 5000 lbs and really can't afford to trade it in to buy a pickup truck big enough to handle this tongue weight...

It pains me to know I am going nowhere except my driveway with the TM I've been dreaming about for years. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bflojimmy
2011 TM2720
TV 2007 Kia Sorrento V-6

There are lots of good Weight Distributing Hitch options, and almost any RV dealer can help you with this.

Heavy tongue weights tend to overload rear axles and unload front ones. The WDH is mandatory for most of us: Reality is found on the truck scale.

My numbers from the truck scale are here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, towing, wd hitches