TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Wmtire you seem to have considerable knowledge on this topic. I know there are variables but how often do you think 15" E on a 2720 should be replaced?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
davlin
TrailManor Master

Lesherp,

I hope Wmtire will respond to your question. I also have 15" Load Range E tires on my 3124KS. I'm willing to run them to six years, with the following caveats:

Tire age is measured from the DOT manufacturer's date, NOT the date that you bought them. If they sat in a warehouse for a year before you bought them, that year counts against you. That's why I always insist on "fresh" tires, even though the retailer's policy is usually to sell the oldest first.

Although I don't use a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), I religiously check tire pressures. Running tires under inflated causes heat damage which shortens the tire's life. Unfortunately, you can't see that when you look at the tire.

I store my tires "off the ground" because I don't get to exercise them frequently enough. I'm lucky to put around 1500 miles per year on them. And you are correct, less frequent use is worse than more frequent use.

I don't put any "tire preservatives" on them. Most of these are actually harmful to the rubber.

My tires are stored in shade, but are not covered.

At the end of the day, though, each tire owner will have to find his/her own "comfort" level on how long to go on their tires. And yes, I feel bad when I replace them and the old ones still "look brand new," but I learned my lesson the hard way on running tires that are too old.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I also had to have my tire supplier get me a set of tires newer than what they had in stock. I think the ones they had were 9 months old. That information along probably saved me my membership fees for life here. Possibly a headache.

I have 5,000 miles so far on the tires this year and probably had that total last year. After reading wmtire's post and your comment about the number of miles you put on your tiers each year now you have me wondering how often and long the tires must be flexed to effectively bring the protective waxes to the surface.

If anyone has information regarding this please share. A couple of things I have learned in life is that the more information you have the better choices you are able to make. And that it is a lot easier to gather information from others more knowledgeable than you than to figure it out yourself. Forums on the internet are an easy way to gather information as long as your verify it.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
rumbleweed

When I have had my dealer order tires for me, I always have him call me with the DOT dates prior to mounting them. if they are too old, I refuse to accept them. I also tell him this up front so he usually makes sure he gets the newer tires first time.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post

I have 5,000 miles so far on the tires this year and probably had that total last year. After reading wmtire's post and your comment about the number of miles you put on your tiers each year now you have me wondering how often and long the tires must be flexed to effectively bring the protective waxes to the surface.
I don't think anyone can definitively answer that. Tire usage (or lack thereof) becomes just another "variable" in an owner's decision on when to replace tires. Other variables are probably more important: inflation, load exposure, bruising on rocks, potholes, and curbs, etc. etc. I think I can get 6 years safely out of mine (even with low usage), but that could always change based upon banging them up on a curb, finding out I ran one under inflated for a long distance (heat exposure), or just general external inspection of the tire. Others may not be comfortable with six years, and want to replace them at 5 or 4. The cost of two good tires pro-rated over 4, 5 or 6 years versus piece of mind? I call that an individual decision.

Dave
Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
MisterP

THREE good tires (or five in my case) should be changed at an owners discretion. Always replace the spare. Just because it is not used does not make it last any longer.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
davlin
TrailManor Master

Excellent point! And as a previous 3326 owner, I know the five tire deal.

Dave