TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Mark

Default Prodigy Brake Control and 2003 Toyota Tundra

I received my Prodigy brake control from RVWholesalers.com.  Thanks for the reference!  I was wondering if any forum member with one of these  and a Tundra w/factory tow package (or anyone else with some experience with these things) could please give me some help with the wiring as the Prodigy instructions do not include the Tundra.  My 2003 Tundra w/factory tow package has a 5 wire brake control jumper harness that plugs into a female service connector for a brake controller with following set-up:
1.Black w/red stripe-fused trailer brake controller battery feed
2.Green-headlamp switch to vehicle trial lamps
3.Green w/white stripe-vehicle stop lamp switch to brake control(input)
4.Brown-Trailer Ground
5.Red-trailer electric brake feed from brake controller(output)

This harness has bare, loose wires that connect to the  Prodigy's 4 wires:
1.Black-Positive Battery
2.White-Negative Battery
3.Red-cold side of stoplight switch
4.Blue-brake output to trailer

Some of the connections are no brainers but the Prodigy instructions don't cover the Tundra.  Specifically the green "Headlamp Switch" and the brown "Trailer Ground" wire on the Tundra harness mate with what on the Prodigy?  The Trailer ground  is an ~#18 gauge wire and does not look sufficient to carry the level of current I would expect may be needed.  I can connect the white Prodigy wire to the negative terminal with #12 gauge wire as per the instuctions and splice the trailer ground wire into it.  I'm totally in the dark with the green headlamp switch connection (pun intended).  As you all can probably tell this is my first attempt at this kind of thing and need some expert advice.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Mark
Old 05-18-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Prodigy Brake Control and 2003 Toyota Tundra

I can't believe it but I just had one installed on my "03 Tundra last Friday.  I paid the dealer from whom I bought my TM $40 to install it while having the TM checked for a noise that I didn't understand.  Unfortunately, my Tundra is over 100 miles from my home at the present time.  So I can't look under the dash to tell you what colors are connected to each other.  Sorr that I can't help.  Good luck.  
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
Mark

Thanks!  Customer service at Teknosha will open in the morning and hopefully they and my local Toyota service folks will be able to help.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
Mark

Spoke  with Teknosha Customer Svc.  Toyota has made all the connections for a brake controller with their factory tow package. The wires from the jumper harness need to be soldered and shrinkwrapped directly to the wires from the Prodigy. Then the jumper harness snaps into the service connector behind the fuse panel and the black Prodigy connector snaps into the back of the Prodigy unit.

Per Teknosha customer svc wiring for a 2003 Tundra w/factory tow package and Jumper Harness:
The Tundra black w/red stripe goes to Prodigy black
The Tundra green is not connected
The Tundra green w/white stripe goes to Prodigy red
The Tundra brown goes to Prodigy white
The Tundra red goes to Prodigy blue

Hope this helps.
Mark