TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
paultrnka

Default Extended Mirrors?

Does anyone recommend or think I require extended mirrors like Mckesh Mirrors? I am hauling with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Paul
2005 2720SL
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Scott O

Depends on the laws of the state in which you are towing. For instance, in California you are required to be able to see a spot 100' (?) behind the trailer with either mirror. The standard mirrors on 'most' TVs do not extend out far enough to allow this. Hence, products like McKesh mirrors. By the way, I finally broke down and got a pair of McKesh mirrors, after wasting money on several other types. The McKesh product is excellent.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I have heard various distances between 100 feet and 300 feet.

I towed my TM home from the dealer with my Chevy 1500HD with only the factor mirrors and I did not feel safe. IMO, any TV narrower than my full sized Chevy truck requires extended mirrors of some sort.

Try this test:

1. to to a local mall or school parking lot when the is a lot of space available.
2. Park with the TM connected to the TV in a straight line.
3. pace backwards 100 feet.
4. can you stand in a single spot and see both mirrors?

When my daughter is following me at a reasonable distance in her Miata, I can see her at all times in at least one mirror, frequently both mirrors.

My McKesh mirrors are probably illegal. I have them set out as far as they will go. California has a maximum length of a mirror on one side and a maximum length from one mirror to the other.Know the towing laws for your state.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

On this forum, we tend to get hung up on the details of the mirror laws - 200 feet back, 100 feet back, 80 inches wide, protrude no more than 10 inches, vehiclewidth+20 inches, etc. Many of these laws seem to have been written for trucks, and then may (or may not) be applied to cars. Though I normally watch the laws pretty closely, in this case I think I opt for safety as the first concern.

One of our first discussions, in which we laid out the basic principles, was this one.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

There was a lot of good followup comment in this thread, and over the years, there have been a number of further threads. I would suggest you start here, then find and read some of the other threads, and then decide. There is no magic answer...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
irenepl

I tow with a grand cherokee and I have a set of Mckesh Mirrors that came with my current TM. They are very nice mirrors and work well, however, I did not like the way they attached to the jeep and potentially would rub on the paint surface. BTW they are for sale if anyone is interested!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Redhawk

I had the same concern with the mirrors rubbing on the paint, after many trips, I've had no issues with the paint. I do remove them and clean the dust off daily and wax the doors when traveling.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
wicamper

Forget the cheap mirrors. I tried them too before getting a set of Mckesh mirrors. The Mckesh mirrors work great. After 20,000 miles I have no wear marks on my tow vehicle.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I have a Grand Cherokee, but I have a 2417, which is at least 6" narrower than your TM. I could not see directly behind the trailer with the GC mirrors, so I installed a rear-facing camera on the rear bumper of my TM. I can now see anything directly behind me, and can tell when I am far enough in front of a vehicle in the next lane to make a lane change. There are no blind spots between the camera (170° view) and my mirror field-of-view.

I would not tow without extended mirrors or a camera. If I got a larger TM, I would go with mirror extensions and the camera. I can just sight-down the sides of my TM with my mirrors, so I know a wider TM would obscure even more view. Even with extended mirrors, though, I don't know that you would be able to see a smaller vehicle directly behind you, and within 20 feet of your bumper. I can't say for sure, as I don't have the wider TM models, but I wouldn't want to be unable to see someone behind me.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I took the advice of the others on the board here and bought a set of McKesh mirrors as my first set of towing mirrors. Another member was kind enough to sell me his at a good price.

They are great. I can see a LOT further down the road on both sides. If you are on a curve, even a slight one, it can completely block you view and make it hard to change lanes. The McKesh mirrors give me a lot more visibility.

I have no marks on the paint.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I purchased a pair of these milenco-aero-towing-mirror based on someones comments here & they work GREAT on our LandRover.

We tried another brand but they just didn't hold up. I can say I can tell extended mirrors really are needed IMO on most TV's

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote