TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
clown9644

Default Tractor towing machine

As you know, my drive makes a 90 degree turn and cannot put the TM into the garage with the truck, can't use a manual dolly as there is just too much incline for me to do it. Tried a 2000 winch that kills the battery in no time AND has a cycle of 1 minute operation and then 45 minute cool down, makes for a 2 hour project.
I had used this tractor with limited success when I parked behind the house, out of sight of the neighbors. Got stuck a couple of times so stopped doing that and went into the garage.

Hooking to the rear of the tractor was no good for me, I have a problem looking over my shoulders and without a co-pilot had issues. Was going to buy a Power Caster when this occurred to me.
Why is the hitch mounted so the ball is closer to the tractor, to move some of the weight closer and limit the fulcrum effect. Further away the more weight felt at the connection points. The cone is in place as I have the TM opened up getting ready for the next trip out, that increases the tongue weight a lot.

All the above for less than $250 total!

Just wanted to share.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	7638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	7639  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I am glad you found a way to move your TM. Where there's a will there's a way.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The concept is great. I've towed all kinds of things behind my lawn tractor, including trailers. But I've never tried one with a tongue weight as heavy as a TM. Glad to know it works.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Dave,

Nice modification . . . have you used it to move the TM? Curious to know how it worked out.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
clown9644

Yes, pulled it out, moved it down the drive and then back up, just to be safe. I believe I will have an expense on a pair of front tires as they are pretty well checked, $50 each. I am also considering putting a dolly wheel under the hitch to take some of the weight off the front of the tractor, though it really did not feel bad I have the opinion the tires are not rated anywhere near what I am putting on them.

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown9644 View Post
Yes, pulled it out, moved it down the drive and then back up, just to be safe. I believe I will have an expense on a pair of front tires as they are pretty well checked, $50 each. I am also considering putting a dolly wheel under the hitch to take some of the weight off the front of the tractor, though it really did not feel bad I have the opinion the tires are not rated anywhere near what I am putting on them.

Dave
I was wondering if it could work to have the tongue jack rest on it's own wheels so that you could push or tow it with a bar like the ones they use to move airplanes around on the ramp by the nose wheel. My small tractor is lighter than yours, and I'm pretty sure I'd be asking a lot for it to carry a 500# tongue weight on the tires and axles.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
camp2canoe

This will be my umptyninth post evangelizing about the benefits of putting a front hitch receiver on a tow vehicle. While the sharp driveway turn might make this impractical for Dave, for most of us such a front hitch makes solo garaging much safer and you don't need to worry about overloading your lawn tractor. With a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle you always have it ready for those campsites requiring a really sharp turn or threading your way between trees. At night you have your vehicle's headlights to illuminate the campsite. It also makes a good front tow point if you get stuck and a dandy place to carry a bike rack so that the bikes are always in view and don't interfere with opening your tailgate. - camp2canoe
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
clown9644

Mr. Adventure, Your concerns on the lighter weight tractors is well founded. I have a newer uni body tractor (Bolens) for mowing, it would never get the job done.

I definitely need to add a wheel to the front. I had traction issues today as the blacktop was very hot and slick. Weight on the front is lifting the rear end a wee bit. My only concern with putting a wheel on the electric lift is I would be afraid of bending the post and not be able to retract it. This will be my project for next week.

Projects like this are what get me up in the morning!

Dave
Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Something like this, but with a tractor hitch instead of the skid and handlebars:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7627_200437627

Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
clown9644

Wonder no more Mr. Adventure! I tried using a Harbor Freight dolly, similar to your example from Northern. No good. I had to remove the skid as the tractor's front end was not high enough to have the skid clear the ground. It does not appear to have added any structural integrity. I hooked up to the tractor and all seemed well, heights were good, etc. Moved out of garage and then started to push back inside, hit the less than 1/8 inch lip and in less than a couple of seconds the dolly folded up, the weld to the T of the handle pulled 3/4th loose and I was back to square one. In an hour I had the hitch assembly back on and will work on figuring out if there is a way to use the dolly (after some repair work).
I am thinking if I remove the bar that is bent and possibly connect the wheel assembly directly to the tractor I may have better luck. I have many things to get done so this project will be on hold for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	7701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2383.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	7702