TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
moaboy

Default Hitch install question

Question about hitch etc installation:
The dealer where I bought my TM installed my hitch etc on my then to be TV.
Did a great job,but not cheap and farther away.
I now have a new TV and called one of the larger local U-Haul places that installs hitches etc.
Much cheaper and they seem to know what they are doing.
Any thoughts on using a travel trailer dealer vs a U-Haul place?
Also as I understand it there are only two hitch manufacturers in the US-Reese and Curt. They both seem to make good hitches. So either one would work?
Finally, I understand I have to get a new hitch for the new TV, but since my receiver hitch looks to be adjustable I should be able to use it and my wdh bars. Only have to get new wiring harness and then can use original brake controller that is only about 3 years old?
Any thoughts?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

The receiver is the part that has to be installed on your new TV, the rest of your old hitch should fit the new receiver with no problem. I had mine done by a local mom & pop trailer shop and have no experience with U-Haul. I was going to buy the receiver and have it installed by Agri Supply (they were less expensive) but their waiting list for installation was too long.

Tim
Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Hitch receivers are standard stock items which I've been buying from places like Amazon, Adventure RV, or eTrailer.com and then putting them on myself. It's just a matter of 6 bolts and you're done. Be sure you get a Class III hitch receiver that's designed for use with a WDH.

Then, there's the electrical part. Uhaul does a lot of hitches, but they might not know much about hooking up brake controllers, trailer battery charging connections, or adjusting weight distribution hitches. If I was not going to do this myself (you can download and read the installation instructions on eTrailer to see if this project is right for you), I think I'd want an RV dealer to to this instead of the Uhaul shop, but it wouldn't have to be a TM dealer.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

My RV dealer used to recommend a Uhaul shop for the installation of the receiver and brake controller. The RV dealer did the final WDH adjustment and brake controller checkout. Worked for me when I bought my first TM.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

In my experiences, the U Haul dealer is just as competent as the RV dealer. Both are subject to a good job or bad depending on their people being properly trained and supervised. U Haul does a lot of hitches for people that really don't do a lot of towing and see probably quite a bit of different vehicles. The RV dealer may have the proper pig tail for the brake controller and TV. It's snaps into the vehicles wiring harness then it's colored coded.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Redhawk

I've done a couple myself and paid Uhaul to do a couple. The local uhaul did a great job on the electrial, including the brake controller, but as stated above, that will depend on experience, etc. Uhaul sure does a lot of them....I prefered setting my WDH up myself.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ditto what redhawk said, except I've always done my own brake controllers except for one an RV dealer did.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
T and C
TrailManor Master

Back in the 90's I had a hitch installed on a Sable by U-Haul. I used it to tow a Coleman tent trailer. I gave the car to my son a couple of years ago so its still going, and never a problem with the hitch or electrical connection.

They installed a thingy in the the cord that has little lights that show that each connector is making contact.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
rumbleweed

If you don't carry a VOM meter, these are handy for determining if the electrical problem is in the TM or TV.

http://www.truckspring.com/products/...er__20117.aspx
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
moaboy

Thanks everybody.
I plan to get the new hitch and put it on myself then have a local trailer guy do the wiring,brake controller, and adjustments. Nothing against the U-Haul folks I just have more "quality control" this way. At least that is the plan.
Come Spring I should be ready to roll.