TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

ThePair,

Your mention not having any issues with the WDH lifting bars and a add-on swivel jack post? The bars appear to me to not allow for a jack to be mounted on the side anywhere within the reach of the bars. And if I mount it past the clamp-on chain brackets, its too far back from the coupler to be a concern.

rv
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
ThePair,

Your mention not having any issues with the WDH lifting bars and a add-on swivel jack post? The bars appear to me to not allow for a jack to be mounted on the side anywhere within the reach of the bars. And if I mount it past the clamp-on chain brackets, its too far back from the coupler to be a concern.

rv
I think ThePair was talking about his TM swing away tongue which is what we have on our TM with no WDH interference problems.

Maybe i just missed it but I don't remember anyone on the board addressing your particular issue.

I am curious, why do you need a bolt-on swing away jack?

Tim
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Ahh, you know, somehow I missed that part of the thread when I posted. When I saw "swingaway jack" I was thinking about the swing away tongue that a lot of us have (as B&T pointed out).

I now see what you're saying, rvcycleguy! Sorry for the confusion. There was another user who had to add one of those little flip-up jacks to his setup, I'm trying to recall why and if he had WDH as well. Let me mull it over and see if I can locate the thread here.

B&T - he wants to keep the tailgate down on his pickup while towing, so he's removed the standard jack and propane tanks from the tongue. One solution for him was a flip-up jack, so he wouldn't have to replace the standard jack every time.

rvcycleguy- I'm not seeing if you have the TM swingaway tongue or not (not likely on your sized model). If not, would it be possible to mount the flip-up backwards? I don't know that it would clear the ball/hitch that way, but I don't have one so I've got no means to figure relative clearances...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I now see what you're saying, rvcycleguy! Sorry for the confusion. There was another user who had to add one of those little flip-up jacks to his setup, I'm trying to recall why and if he had WDH as well. Let me mull it over and see if I can locate the thread here.
You're probably referring to harveyrv. He put a flip-up tongue jack on his TM, and he posted a picture of it in post #7 of this thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10565

I'm not sure if he uses a WDH or not, but you might be able to reach him through a PM, or peruse through some of his posts.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

yes, the picture is what Im trying to do... but as you may be able to see, when the swingaway jack is stored, swiveled in place, the WDH lifting bar on that side would be in conflict with the jack? I have a 2002 3124KB with no swing away hitch.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
yes, the picture is what Im trying to do... but as you may be able to see, when the swingaway jack is stored, swiveled in place, the WDH lifting bar on that side would be in conflict with the jack? I have a 2002 3124KB with no swing away hitch.
I'm still wondering why I'd want a swing away jack. In the old popup days it was nice to be able to swing the jack up and out of the way for ground clearance. With the TrailManor's tongue at 500+ pounds, an electric jack seems like a great replacement for the stock jack if replacement is needed. But the picture looks to me like the jack would probably clear the WDH bars.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

you would have to go back and read my original posts and follow-up questions in order to understand why I am wanting a swing away jack.

B&T - he wants to keep the tailgate down on his pickup while towing, so he's removed the standard jack and propane tanks from the tongue. One solution for him was a flip-up jack, so he wouldn't have to replace the standard jack every time.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

@ThePair, thanks for the info, understand now!

@ShrimpBurrito

Harveyrv did not use a WDH as he indicated here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&postcount=50

I sure miss his posts, he kept things interesting.

Tim
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is there a reason why the swing jack couldn't be mounted about 2 feet aft of the location where Harvey mounted it? Yes, as you get closer to the TM's wheels, the load on the jack goes up, but 2 feet out of 20 shouldn't be prohibitive. And yes, it is a bit off-center, which can be annoying since it will tend to twist the frame which sometimes makes it harder to latch the door. But if you lower the front stabilizers, all should be well.

The other possibility, of course, is a hitch extender. I'm not a big fan, but it might help in your situation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Bill,

Over the past week, I have considered what you propose and feel it may be a solution. Without trying it yet, my concern was putting it that far back and off center to the ball, it might give me a problem un hitching the ball, due to the twist that you mention. I agree that after uncoupling, I could stablize the TM with the leveling jacks.

thanks,rv