TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
The bottom line is that any tires have a life span of six years whether you use them or not. The spare getting the free ride on back is drying out as fast as those on the ground.

A new tire in dealer stock is toast after six years which is why everyone should ask your dealer to record the DOT number on your invoice and write down the manufacture date of each tire as indicated in the DOT number. If they will not do that for you, move on to the next dealer.

Six years is the maximum. I would never buy a tire which is over one year from date of manufacture. Trailer tires over four years old are probably an accident waiting to happen.
Thank you for your input... your situation sounds very scary to me. thanks for sharing though. perhaps I should not complain than.

ok just checked the DOT numbers andthey state 2410 I take that to mean february 4, 2010 which would put these tires at about one year and 3 months. should I make a stink about the additional 3 months? I would think I'm ok and besides there is NO ONE else in the area so what am I going to do. I guess I should be thankful that the guy didnt put 5 year old tires on the TM, huh? Oh well, I'll be calling goodyear anyway to see about switching to 15" tires and rims and see if there is anything they can do to make that happen. I'd rather get it done now while on the road but Im not going to hold my breath getting the lift kit now... unless its something you can buy at the local auto shop. knowing what I alrready know about the TM NOTHING IS SIMPLE and NOTHING IS EASY.
I am a cheating freeloader. I have signed up for a Free Trial Membership 8 times under different names. I have received much thoughtful help from the forum members, but I am not grateful. I will not pay my fair share of the board expenses. I think you should pay it for me. You guys are suckers.
luvmymanor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymanor1 View Post
....THING IS WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD TRAILMANOR DESIGN THIS VEHICLE WITH 14" TIRES IF IT NEEDS THE 15". Obviously they went to the 15" tires on the new models. could it be that they realize that 14" tires create a failure point? a weak link?....
The early '90's 2720 had 13" tires. They were upgraded to 14" as the weight of the TM increased with the additional options and features that the customers (we) wanted. TM upgraded again when it became apparent that the 14" where no longer doing the job. I don't think that this time the problem was with TM as much as it was with the tire manufacturers. A lot of tire manufacturing has been moved offshore and the tires were manufactured closer to the minimum specifications. All in the name of profit.

Quote:
....will 15" tires/rims work without the lift kit for the remaining leg of my trip?....I know that the goodyear guy told me the size of the 15" tires and it looks to me that they will fit in the wheel well but with closer clearance to the top of the wheel well (about 3" or so)
I seem to remember that 3" is the minimum clearance for the tire & wheel well.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
ok just checked the DOT numbers andthey state 2410 I take that to mean february 4, 2010 which would put these tires at about one year and 3 months.
I believe the format is wwyy (week/year), so 2410 would be the 24th week of 2010.

If you haven't (whether you stick with 14" tires or upgrade to 15"), I would replace the rubber valve stems with metal stems and have the wheels balanced.

I would also consider a tire pressure monitoring system. If nothing else you'll know you're never running under-inflated.

Here is the brand I used.

This model has user replaceable sensor batteries.

If you get a TPMS, find another forum member that has the same model and split the cost of a pair of sensors so you can also monitor your spare (most sell the sensor packs in pairs).
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:

goodyear marathons 14" cold pressure at 50 psi

Dave
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope things are getting better.

I agree with most of the information you have already received from other TMF members.

I must add "keep your Marathons at maximum rated pressure(cold)" even if you want a softer ride or believe you are not carrying the max load.

My Marathon dealer advises they will be less likely to fail if they flex less. He wants me to keep mine (15") at 65 psi cold at all times.

I do not know what your 14" Marathon sidewall pressure statement is but I do know that my 15" Marathon sidewall pressure statement is 65 psi.

Our 2010 3326K came with four 15" wheels (TM changed from 14" wheels in mid 2009). Since I have two axles, even the original 14" wheels provided a good safety factor, but I'm glad to have the extra capacity. It means even less flexing of the sidewalls.

The tires are date coded 1409 (14th week of 2009) but I'm a little concerned about an upcoming 6000 mile trip this September. The tires will be 2.5 years old and are stored in the Arizona heat. I'm looking at $700 to change all five. Still not sure what I'll do. One thing for sure is I'll add the sewer line protection mod (heavy mud flap) behind the drivers side rear tire to reduce the possible damage to the plumbing if that tire blows.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip. Best of luck.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDog View Post
I believe the format is wwyy (week/year), so 2410 would be the 24th week of 2010.

If you haven't (whether you stick with 14" tires or upgrade to 15"), I would replace the rubber valve stems with metal stems and have the wheels balanced.

I would also consider a tire pressure monitoring system. If nothing else you'll know you're never running under-inflated.

Here is the brand I used.

This model has user replaceable sensor batteries.

If you get a TPMS, find another forum member that has the same model and split the cost of a pair of sensors so you can also monitor your spare (most sell the sensor packs in pairs).
other than tire air does it display tire temps?
I am a cheating freeloader. I have signed up for a Free Trial Membership 8 times under different names. I have received much thoughtful help from the forum members, but I am not grateful. I will not pay my fair share of the board expenses. I think you should pay it for me. You guys are suckers.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope things are getting better.

I agree with most of the information you have already received from other TMF members.

I must add "keep your Marathons at maximum rated pressure(cold)" even if you want a softer ride or believe you are not carrying the max load.

My Marathon dealer advises they will be less likely to fail if they flex less. He wants me to keep mine (15") at 65 psi cold at all times.

I do not know what your 14" Marathon sidewall pressure statement is but I do know that my 15" Marathon sidewall pressure statement is 65 psi.

Our 2010 3326K came with four 15" wheels (TM changed from 14" wheels in mid 2009). Since I have two axles, even the original 14" wheels provided a good safety factor, but I'm glad to have the extra capacity. It means even less flexing of the sidewalls.

The tires are date coded 1409 (14th week of 2009) but I'm a little concerned about an upcoming 6000 mile trip this September. The tires will be 2.5 years old and are stored in the Arizona heat. I'm looking at $700 to change all five. Still not sure what I'll do. One thing for sure is I'll add the sewer line protection mod (heavy mud flap) behind the drivers side rear tire to reduce the possible damage to the plumbing if that tire blows.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip. Best of luck.

Jerry
Hey jerry, thanks for your input... all I can say is that after this expierience I would switch out the tires. if not now than in the first leg of your trip. with a little planning ahead you can do this. I wish I knew I would have done it from home in my case for sure. being that you have some time left you may be able to wait it out untill the first leg of your trip. I didn't think about the plumbing. i guess I'm lucky I only have damage to the other wheel well. and hey we are all safe so...............its just time agrivation and money. hopefully today is a better day.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Yes - the TST models display temp and air pressure. The monitor will constantly cycle thru however many tires/sensors you have, displaying temp and tire pressure for each for several seconds before cycling to the next tire. You can set thresholds (min/max) for alarms. I've set my min PSI alarm to 45 PSI.

IMHO the convenience of not having to manually check air pressure on all of the tires (including crawling under to check the spare) frequently is worth the price. I turn on the monitor, give it a few seconds to get the signal and know if I'm good to go. I'll still visually inspect the tires at stops, but don't have to get out the pressure guage.

On the road I can watch the temp/air pressure and see if one side is running hotter than the other. On the Las Vegas leg of our trip our tire temp reach 109 and the PSI reach 59 (was inflated cold at 50).
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Yes. all of the TST TPMS systems measure both pressure and temperature. MudDog has the newer 507 system. I opted for the older 510 system which was a better bargain back in January.

On my recent return trip from Myrtle beach (during a heatwave) the TST system was reporting TM tire pressure(s) of 72psi and the temps ran up to as high as 109 which tends to be somewhat normal for a really hot day.

Tim
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I will add my two cents to the TST experience.

I agree with all that has been said but suggest the valve stem units be checked for tightness every few hundred miles. More than once I have lost pressure (I could see it on the monitor so I knew which tire it was. Remember I have 5 tires to watch). The stem units come with a little wrench and it is important to keep it handy.

I remove them whenever I put the TM in storage for a month or so (to save battery life) and once I used LockTite tape to keep them from backing off(that was a real mess so I won't do it again).

TST says over tightening is a potential problem and they suggested teflon tape to help seal the stem joint. I tried that once but it too was a mess to remove all the little tape threads after the trip.

Nothing is easy is it. The monitor helps ease my worries on a long trip. Often I don't use it for short (100 mile) trips.

In Arizona I usually see pressures rise to about 80 psi (from 65) as the tire temperature increases from 90 to 115 degrees. Road speed is never over 65 mph (with minor exceptions). Pressures and temperatures drop as we climb into the mountains.

For what it's worth.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
well I hear what you are saying and I agree to an extent. however, if the tires are rated for 1850 and the axle is rated at 3500 than putting on tires rated at 2500 each could mask a potentially bigger and more hazerdouse problem.
Should the tires be adequate? Yes. Are they? Obviously not, at least when pushed to their limits in terms of age, weight carried, and heat. Getting tires with higher weight capacities simply reduces risk, that's all. As I said before, I don't see that higher rated tires masks any problems, as I'm not carrying any additional weight I hadn't carried before.

Quote:
off the top of my head 7580 total TV and TM but dont remember what the independent weights were but I assure you well within limits on both. I tried to get toungue weight done but could not for the life of me find a place willing to do it in my area.
There are alot of variables when taking a weigh, like whether you were carrying any water, was the TM loaded for camping, were there any people in the TV, etc. But assuming the Toyota Sienna is about 4,000 lbs, your TM weighs 3,500 lbs. That's probably among the lowest TM weights recorded here, so if that really is the weight, you probably can't do much better. But you could easily be at 4,000 lbs, and that is right about at the max for the tires.

Tongue weight can be measured at any scale by subtracting the TM axle weight from the TM total weight (when unhitched from the TV). You can also measure this with a bathroom scale and a fulcrum, a method described here on the forum which you can find using the Search tool.

I highly recommend a TPMS system -- I use the TST brand. It's not a fail safe, but is simply another tool in helping you identify a problem, which reduces the risk of a blowout.

Your year TM may not need a lift kit to take 15" wheels. In the newer models, and perhaps someone here can comment on when the factory made this change, they installed an axle with the torsion arms set at a higher angle, giving the same lift as the lift kit. A call to the factory would answer it for sure. But the lift kit is simply a piece of 2" tubular steel bolted in between the axle and frame. You could find a place along the road that would sell you a few sections and drill some holes in it, but if it were me, I'd order it from the factory for ~$40 and have them Fedex/UPS it to a Fedex/UPS location down the road where they will hold it for you for pickup. It is easy to install -- all you need is a jack and some wrenches. But since you'd only get it if you were getting 15" wheels, I would just ask the tire shop to install it for you. Since they're removing the wheels anyway, it should only take them an additional 20-30 min to install the lift.

When I was in your shoes last year, I reduced my stress level significantly by acknowledging the fact that the tires were going to delay my trip 1-2 days, and that I was going to spend that time addressing the problem in a repair shop, on the phone, etc. Once I succumbed to that realization, I was able to relax alot more.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote