TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Default Portable Air Compressor/Tire Inflator

Does anybody have any experience with or can recommend a portable air compressor or tire inflator. The primary use is for re-inflating tires after lowering pressure to drive in sand or mud

thanks,

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREXHUNTERS View Post
Does anybody have any experience with or can recommend a portable air compressor or tire inflator. The primary use is for re-inflating tires after lowering pressure to drive in sand or mud

thanks,
Has been discussed before. Found this thread using the SEARCH tool:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8388

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Pitbull

http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-85P-Port...8864080&sr=1-3

Koz
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Solitary Refinement

I recently picked up one of these when Amazon had them on sale for $99.

LINK

I've had a couple cheap jumpstart boxes w/ air compressors from Menard's in the past and the air compressors didn't last very long. The key is to not let them run too long, and to let them cool down fully before firing them up again.

I'm hoping the Energizer unit will hold up better, and its nice that it has a built in 200W inverter to charge phones/laptops/etc, plus the 12V sockets and worklight.

But if you are needing just the air compressor, I'd definitely go with a more robust full-duty compressor like previously posted.
750lb Weight Distribution Hitch
Solitary Refinement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

I have spent some time on trips looking for a place where I can get the trailer next to an air hose at various service stations. So, I decided to get a compresser I could carry along.

I bought a small compressor at Pep Boys. They carry several different units, so I just picked one rated at sufficient pressure to put 65 psi in my tires. It works fine.

The only shortcoming I have discovered is that when I clip the leads to my batteries, (on the tongue), the power wires and the hose together are just long enough to reach the tires. Just. But...it works, so that is what I care about most.

It came with a carry bag, so on the rare occassions that I use it I just put it back in the bag when I'm done and put it into the rear compartment and forget about it.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Bigbit

I have a number of the tools in the Ryobi 18v cordless One+ family, and some of them come with us camping. I use the impact driver for raising / lowering my leveling jacks and BAL leveler. I have a small Dustbuster style vacuum for cleanups. I have the air compressor for inflating tires and air mattresses. I also have a fluorescent lantern that's great for walking around the campground at night or providing light at the campsite. All use the same battery. I keep 2 batteries and a charger with me. I wouldn't be without these tools.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
brulaz

Our Slime portable 12V is beginning to die after only 1 year, so think I'll go for something more heavy duty. Like the 30A 12V one you need to clamp directly to the battery. Q MV50

We did use the Slime a lot, as one of the truck tires had a slow leak, and I probably let it run longer than the prescribed 10'.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Our Slime portable 12V is beginning to die after only 1 year, so think I'll go for something more heavy duty. Like the 30A 12V one you need to clamp directly to the battery. Q MV50

We did use the Slime a lot, as one of the truck tires had a slow leak, and I probably let it run longer than the prescribed 10'.
The product you have linked to is the one I bought at Pep Boys. It does the job. I just wish that the cables were a little longer.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
The product you have linked to is the one I bought at Pep Boys.
Ah thanks, I was having trouble finding the MV50 in Canada. Looks like I can pick one up in Florida next Fall at Pep Boys.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
M&M Hokie

I have a Goodyear branded inflator. The cable/hose was too short to reach the TM tires. It also tended to low fuses when plugged into wife's van. I solved both problems by purchasing a 7-pin trailer plug and adapting the inflator's cable to plug directly into my TV's Trailer receptacle. (The van also has a trailer receptacle)

It solved the fuse problem and also the hose length issue since it is now plugged in at the rear end of the truck/van.