TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Default Buying tires and wheels in the DC area

OK, so I took wmtire's advice and called around the D.C. Metro area and after getting many, "No's" to even giving me a price for tires and wheels, the Firestone person gave me the name of a shop that might be able to help me.

1) He wants to sell me white spoke wheels rated at 1610 lbs. He said 2600 wheels are overkill. If I wanted the largest rated wheels, those are alloy and run $50 more for each wheel ($150 more)

2) He wants to know the GVW. Looks like 4010# based on this post from HarveyRV:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&highlight=gvw

3) He wants to know if a leaf spring (sprang) or torshin axle. He said that would determine if I'm getting the right equipment. I'm at a loss here. Been searching, but not really sure what he's talking about.

4) He agreed that a D load 15" tire would be fine. E load would be overkill. I agree.

5) He doesn't know what brand will come in when he orders trailer tires, could be Carlitle, STC or Triangle. Most everything, including recent Goodyear tires are being made in China. He had rec'd some Goodyear's that were made in Canada. Is that true that a tire shop can't request a brand of tire?

I've tried to find someone here local around D.C. like wmtire suggested, but most places don't want to deal with it. I called DiscountTire.com again and finally got someone to return my call. The guy said we don't need metal or hi-pressure stems and would not install. My questions is mostly on wheel. Are 1610# rated wheels going to give me problems. He said that use these on everything they tow, even larger trailers than mine. I tried to stress that I have a single axle and he said to get him answers to items 2 and 3. I've seen another person that went through the same thing out here in D.C. when he was upgrading to 15" tires and wheels back in '09.

Thanks everyone. I'm getting closer to installing the lift kit. The TM is jacked up and getting ready to ungrind the welded axle from the frame.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
1) He wants to sell me white spoke wheels rated at 1610 lbs. He said 2600 wheels are overkill. If I wanted the largest rated wheels, those are alloy and run $50 more for each wheel ($150 more)

3) He wants to know if a leaf spring (sprang) or torshin axle. He said that would determine if I'm getting the right equipment. I'm at a loss here. Been searching, but not really sure what he's talking about.

4) He agreed that a D load 15" tire would be fine. E load would be overkill. I agree.

5) He doesn't know what brand will come in when he orders trailer tires, could be Carlitle, STC or Triangle. Most everything, including recent Goodyear tires are being made in China. He had rec'd some Goodyear's that were made in Canada. Is that true that a tire shop can't request a brand of tire?

I've tried to find someone here local around D.C. like wmtire suggested, but most places don't want to deal with it. I called DiscountTire.com again and finally got someone to return my call. The guy said we don't need metal or hi-pressure stems and would not install. My questions is mostly on wheel. Are 1610# rated wheels going to give me problems. He said that use these on everything they tow, even larger trailers than mine. I tried to stress that I have a single axle and he said to get him answers to items 2 and 3. I've seen another person that went through the same thing out here in D.C. when he was upgrading to 15" tires and wheels back in '09.

Thanks everyone. I'm getting closer to installing the lift kit. The TM is jacked up and getting ready to ungrind the welded axle from the frame.
1. 1610 x 2 = 3220# ...not enough for a 3500# axle
2. close enough, my 2720 sl is 4216 GVW

3.The suspension is torflex.....not springs

4.?
5.If he doesn't know what he is ordering find another dealer. Even the little hole in the wall tire dealer we use can order what I want.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
1. 1610 x 2 = 3220# ...not enough for a 3500# axle
2. close enough, my 2720 sl is 4216 GVW

3.The suspension is torflex.....not springs

4.?
5.If he doesn't know what he is ordering find another dealer. Even the little hole in the wall tire dealer we use can order what I want.
I've tried and I'll just keep calling around. This is a hole in the wall place. The big guys (Firestone, Goodyear, Just Tires, Napa RV and Truck Center, etc.) won't even discuss ordering wheels. Was hoping to buy local around D.C., but may have to make a long trip to Baltimore (well, only 90 minutes if the traffic is not too bad on I-95). I'll keep checking around. My backup plan is to order wheels from etrailer or trailertires and wheels.com and order the tires locally. I don't trust discounttire.com since I've had three different answers/quotes (really only two since one guy never returned my call with a quote).

So, if I can't get this tire guy convinced that I need larger load wheels, I'll give up and order them from the internet.

Thanks all for the input!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
I've tried and I'll just keep calling around. This is a hole in the wall place. The big guys (Firestone, Goodyear, Just Tires, Napa RV and Truck Center, etc.) won't even discuss ordering wheels. Was hoping to buy local around D.C., but may have to make a long trip to Baltimore (well, only 90 minutes if the traffic is not too bad on I-95). I'll keep checking around. My backup plan is to order wheels from etrailer or trailertires and wheels.com and order the tires locally. I don't trust discounttire.com since I've had three different answers/quotes (really only two since one guy never returned my call with a quote).

So, if I can't get this tire guy convinced that I need larger load wheels, I'll give up and order them from the internet.

Thanks all for the input!
There must be something there in the water in D.C. area. I guess the dealers are used to lying politicians, so they run their business accordingly.

Have you tried tirebuyer.com? This is a site operated by American Tire Distributors, which is a wholesale company that I use to buy a lot of tires from. Tirebuyer.com is their retail side of the business. They sell wheels, tires, stems, etc. Give them a call and see if they can help.

If nothing else, they can probably give you list of local dealers affiliated with them, who purchase their products. I think they have an online chat feature, so you can talk to someone.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
There must be something there in the water in D.C. area. I guess the dealers are used to lying politicians, so they run their business accordingly.

Have you tried tirebuyer.com? This is a site operated by American Tire Distributors, which is a wholesale company that I use to buy a lot of tires from. Tirebuyer.com is their retail side of the business. They sell wheels, tires, stems, etc. Give them a call and see if they can help.

If nothing else, they can probably give you list of local dealers affiliated with them, who purchase their products. I think they have an online chat feature, so you can talk to someone.
Thanks! I have a few more calls into Merchants and another local place. I'll see what they have to say.

I saw tirebuyer on the internet but hadn't seen anyone who has used them on this board. I'll try them if I can't get anyone local here to help.

Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Thanks! I have a few more calls into Merchants and another local place. I'll see what they have to say.

I saw tirebuyer on the internet but hadn't seen anyone who has used them on this board. I'll try them if I can't get anyone local here to help.

Thanks!
I just played around a little on tirebuyer. They don't carry near what their wholesale side does (probably keeps us dealers from getting infuriated with them). I started on online chat with an agent there, and they said that tirebuyer doesn't carry trailer tires (but their wholesale side does).....so I wouldn't waste your effort.

You might can check the site out though and see some of their dealers who franchised with the tirepro name with them. These dealers can get anything that ATD carries. Might be some places close to you.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I just played around a little on tirebuyer. They don't carry near what their wholesale side does (probably keeps us dealers from getting infuriated with them). I started on online chat with an agent there, and they said that tirebuyer doesn't carry trailer tires (but their wholesale side does).....so I wouldn't waste your effort.

You might can check the site out though and see some of their dealers who franchised with the tirepro name with them. These dealers can get anything that ATD carries. Might be some places close to you.
Thanks! I'm calling more tire places as I type this, but most are closing soon or have left for the day.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Have you tried tire store around Manassas, Haymarket or chantilly? Okay Chantilly is probably too far but I would try the area just outside DC.

BTW...wmtire is our tire guru and he is a very honest man and as good as they come. I go directly to him for tire advice.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
Have you tried tire store around Manassas, Haymarket or chantilly? Okay Chantilly is probably too far but I would try the area just outside DC.

BTW...wmtire is our tire guru and he is a very honest man and as good as they come. I go directly to him for tire advice.
I think I may have to branch out further around the beltway. I have to make a trip to Haymarket next month, so I'll look in that direction. You would think that there would be someone closer in Bethesda or Silver Spring. Someone gave me a lead to a boat trailer place in Glen Burnie. A bit of a drive, but about the same distance from me as Haymarket. You can't believe how long it takes to get places around here. I'm just outside of D.C. and sometimes it takes me 30 minutes just into the District during rush hour. Wait, I don't do that unless I'm going to Walter Reed. Glad I live near the Metro.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Steppy

Default Wheels

Quote:
OK, so I took wmtire's advice and called around the D.C. Metro area and after getting many, "No's" to even giving me a price for tires and wheels, the Firestone person gave me the name of a shop that might be able to help me.

Sounds like we're on a similar schedule. I'll be doing my lift kit install tomorrow. I just bought 3 wheels rated 2600 lbs from trailertiresandwheels.com a month or so ago. Here's the info.

Spoke Trailer Wheel -- 15x6JJ/J, White, 5 on 4.50

$36.01

15x6JJ/J Trailer Wheel; Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.50; Center Bore: 3.30"; Maximum Load: 2,600 lbs

I mounted 15" Maxxis on them with steel valves. I live in Lexington Park, MD, 60 miles +/- below DC. I had a small tire local tire company, CURTIS TIRE CENTER, order the tires for me from a Baltimore distributor and when they came in they mouinted and balanced them as well for $116.26/tire including MD tax. I purchased the steel valve stems separately for around $8/stem.

I'd suggest you go with 2600 lb rated wheels . Contact me if I can be of any further help.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote