TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Default LT or P-rated tires for Tow Vehicle

Does anyone use LT rated tires as opposed to P rated tires on your tow vehicle? I have a 1st generation Toyota Tundra and need to replace my Michelin LTX AT/2s. The biggest problem with the LTs appears to be gas mileage. My current set are ps.

If you have used LT rated tires did you see lower gas mileage and/or a harsher ride?

thanks,
bruce

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Joseph

Default LT all the time . . .

I have never used passenger car tires on my current truck. Only LT's. See signature. I did use them on the previous truck that I had. A 1985 C-10 as it was not used as a tow vehicle. If memory serves it rode a lot better than my current truck but it was only a 1/2 ton model. Gas mileage.... I think it is/was about the same for both. Bad....
Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREXHUNTERS View Post
Does anyone use LT rated tires as opposed to P rated tires on your tow vehicle? I have a 1st generation Toyota Tundra and need to replace my Michelin LTX AT/2s. The biggest problem with the LTs appears to be gas mileage. My current set are ps.

If you have used LT rated tires did you see lower gas mileage and/or a harsher ride?

thanks,
bruce
I switched from P rated to LT tires on my 96 F-150 because of the higher weight rating on the LT tires. I had started carrying an overhead camper, so weight was an issue.

I noticed no difference in mileage. With the camper loaded the ride was always comfortable. Without the camper, so so.
Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Harry Womack

Default LT Tires

I have always used LT tires on my Suburban. The problem with all the new tire diameters is that they do not make load range C tires in all diameters. I am now running Michelin LT265 R 17 load range E M/S2. They do ride a little rougher but they tow sooooo much better. I am running 44 PSI in them. They corner much better and do not roll from side to side on the highway.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default P to LT tire switch

Just made the switch from P(assenger) to LT tires. I stayed with a 265 70 R17 but changed from an All season to All terrain tire E load range. Per the TOYO instructions I had to raise the tire pressure from 35 psi to 47 psi to get the same load capacity. Ride seems to be the same, I'll know better once the TM is hooked up. The big suprise is the TOYO's are made in the USA

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I can not imagine a truck with P rated tires. They would not perform well on the muddy back roads where we go boon docking.

I inflate my truck tires to 70-75 psi.

The 1500HD crew cab sagged too much as it was with the LT tires. I don't believe any P tire would have done better at all.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I can not imagine a truck with P rated tires. They would not perform well on the muddy back roads where we go boon docking.

The 1500HD crew cab sagged too much as it was with the LT tires. I don't believe any P tire would have done better at all.
Glad to see you back.....I thought maybe you fell off the edge of the earth......
Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Glad to see you back.....I thought maybe you fell off the edge of the earth......
Go read my post from today about my skiing accident. I think I started the thread under anything goes.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

That was one of the reasons for the switch to LT all terrain, all I did last year in the Mt mud was slide

Glad to see your back with us.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
PopBeavers

Somewhere last summer I posted abut a trip on Memorial day.

To summarize:

When towing a trailer, down a muddy single lane dirt road, that slopes the wrong way, it is helpful to use your mirrors to makes sure that at least one of the trailer tires is in the 6 inch deep muddy rut that the truck created.

Having the TM slide over the hill would likely drag the truck with it. The slope over the side was at least 45 degrees.

Where I go, 4wd and all terrain tires are a must.

I offered to be the wagon master for a west coast "dry camping TM rally" last year. It would be in a forest service campground, but no hookups of any kind. My offer was presented at a TM rally.

Only two people were interested. So I gave up.

I have concluded that most, at least the ones that I have met, TM owners prefer to camp where I hate to camp. The places I refer to as drive in theater parking lots.