TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Phil,

I went through the same process that you did. I figured that I was upgrading from tires that were rated @ 1875# each (which is what comes from the factory). I figured that going with a 35% increase in capacity was a sufficient margin to make me feel comfortable with the tires under any conditions that I will ever use them in.

The Maxxis that I purchased from "Just Tires" had a date code of 2810. They ordered them from a local warehouse that had plenty of the "D" or "E" tires in stock (at that time).

According to the Maxxis manufacturer, I could run my tires @ 50PSI. I run them @ 60PSI and I feel comfortable there. After-all, I was running 50PSI on the lower rated tires that I took off and that pressure supported the trailer just fine. I would think that 60-65PSI in "E" rated tires would be more than enough too but to each his own.

My thinking is that if the tire pressure is too high for the load, one may experience uneven tire wear in the center of the tire tread.
I called my Just Tires place and he said I should go with a Carlisle premounted on 15 wheels. They have a D load. He said that they run $204 each, $16.95 each balancing and $3.50 each for rubber stems and he does not recommend metal stems since they tend to leak. He said if I bought metal valve stems, he would do it, but doesn't like to do that. Does that seem a fair price? He does not have in stock and I would have to preorder. I asked about other makes like Maxxis, but he said the Carlisle is what he could get. I looked online for wheels, but the shipping each almost the price of the wheel. I called around, but having a hard time finding around here or I'm not asking the right questions. I have a call into Tires Plus, but the person at the counter said they would have to research into this. Anyone have a site they would like to share that they ordered their tires and wheels from lately?

I'm bummed since my RV repair place recommended NOT going to a 15' tire. They said I would be asking for trouble with the small space in the wheel well and they would not install the lift kit or order the rims or tires. They seems to do a fine job with my TV and inspecting the TM for state inspection (required out here).

Any advice?
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

O.K., the Tires Plus guy called back and said do you want bias or radial tires. I googled, but thought I'd ask what works best on a TM. Does it matter?

Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #23
wmtire

Tgpmd1, do you have another tire place that you trust, so you can get a second opinion............which I really believe will do you good.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

No, I've never bought wheels before and Costco does all of our tires. Here around D.C., it's hard to trust anyone...

I just rec'd a quote from Discount Tire Direct for 3-15" wheels, mounted with 3-225/75 15 ST D Carlisle tires (radial), including high pressure stems (steel) and balancing. Price includes delivery. Why won't anyone quote any other brand of tire? Anyone have experience with Carlisle tires?
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Tgpmd1, do you have another tire place that you trust, so you can get a second opinion............which I really believe will do you good.
Bobby -

What a very polite way to say what I was going to say, though in much rougher terms! You are always the gentleman.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
No, I've never bought wheels before and Costco does all of our tires. Here around D.C., it's hard to trust anyone...

I just rec'd a quote from Discount Tire Direct for 3-15" wheels, mounted with 3-225/75 15 ST D Carlisle tires (radial), including high pressure stems (steel) and balancing. Price includes delivery. Why won't anyone quote any other brand of tire? Anyone have experience with Carlisle tires?
We have used the Carlisle trailer tires over the years with no problems, other than a suspected axle problem on our pop up we took to Alaska last year.
I would check around like wmtire suggested though.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #27
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs down Pricing and Gouging!

I recently bought 4 used 15" wheels from a friend for $25.00 each! Through another friend from back in my working days at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. I was able to purchase new Maxxis 225/75r15 LR D tires for $80.00 each (wholesale cost + 10%)! I bought 4, as we plan some long distance trips! The Carlisle tire in the same size and load range would have been $ 70.00 each! I know retail is up there but over $200.00 per T&W is a bit rediculous, IMHO! Or are you buying Alloy Wheels?

Come to West Central Florida and I can get you all the tires you need at Wholesale! No Joke!!!!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Don't let anyone talk you out of upgrading to 15"! They handle great and the fit is perfect!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
Don't let anyone talk you out of upgrading to 15"! They handle great and the fit is perfect!
Thanks for the advice. Sometimes I think the guys at the truck/RV shop don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe because I'm not a guy, that makes them the 'expert'. I'm fixed on adding the lift kit to my TM.

Asked the DH if he had any idea on where to buy tires as someone suggested and the one experience he had a few years ago with getting a nail hole plugged was not good. He left the nail in to show where the leak was at. $25 and a few hours to fix a tire that he took off and brought it soured his trust in tire shops. Also, you won't believe the price of gas out here. We always find cheaper gas the farther we travel from D.C. We love getting away from the city where everything is a bit more laid back than at home.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

So, just wanted to thank all of you for one more journey down the money trail. This thread got us thinking that maybe we should be worrying about the original tires on our 2006 more than buying a dehumidifier as we prepare for our trip to Oregon. We have an appointment at The Car Show on Wednesday for the lift kit. Our model is spot welded and we just want to make sure it is done right. It would so embarrassing to be driving down the road just towing the chassis. 15" wheels and tires to follow . . .

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote