TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Default Tpms

I finally decided that i did not want to start another camping season constantly checking my TM tires in my rear view mirror as i drive. So, I went to the TST website (tsttruck.com) and ordered the 510RV system with 6 sensors which they had on sale for $299, free shipping and an extra year added to the warranty. Should be here by Wednesday.

Yes, I know a TPMS will not prevent tire problems, but it just may allow me time to pull over and stop before i get any major TM damage -- if so, then it will pay for itself.

Tim
Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
I finally decided that i did not want to start another camping season constantly checking my TM tires in my rear view mirror as i drive. So, I went to the TST website and ordered the 510RV system with 6 sensors which they had on sale for $299, free shipping and an extra year added to the warranty. Should be here by Wednesday.

Yes, I know a TPMS will not prevent tire problems, but it just may allow me time to pull over and stop before i get any major TM damage -- if so, then it will pay for itself.

Tim
OH Contrare!!!!!

All too often tire blow-outs are caused by low tire pressure. All too often, low tire pressure is caused by a failed/failing valve stem or small tire puncture. Your TPMS should alert you of this before the tire blows.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Is the low pressure warning setpoint user settable? Does it have an audible alarm? I have been thinking a little about these things, TPMS, but what I have seen so far looks like one would have to watch it all the time to see what was going on. On the DW's Cherokee the factory one alarms just below 32 psi and each tire pressure is displayed. The factory one on my truck is next to useless, all it does is alarm when a tire is low????? what ever setpoint is unknown at this time and doesn't tell you which tire. This means stopping the vehicle and checking each tire.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Mine (old Doran) goes off when the pressure drops by a preset percentage - 10 or 15, can't remember exactly. The display on mine is blank until you press it for a reading or until it alarms. It tells you which tire...but only if you are careful about putting the same sensor on the same tire each time. Since I only have sensors for the 2 trailer tires, I am not careful about this. I take them off between trips because the manual says the sensor batteries are conserved if they do not read pressure.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
rumbleweed

I have the TST system it hss settable high and low alarm points as well as temp. The display is constant. IT makes towing much more relaxed. The thing I like isa casual glance at a light or other stop gives you a great headsup on what is going on. I found a possible bearing issue early by noticing a temp difference between wheels.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default set points

Got this from the tst web site once I found it "The tire pressure and temperature alarms are fully programmable. This system does not use a percentage as with other manufacturers."
From the importers web these setpoints are both hi and low pressure and can be set for each tire.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I bought a set of these about a year ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SECUT...Q5fAccessories

They sound an alarm if the tire goes below 28# and a red light tells you which tire (if you don't mix them up).

I tried them on a leaky bicycle tire that normally holds 65# of air. All I can say is that they work...... for $25........ that's all wanted.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Don't forget the spare....It's nice having a sensor on the spare as well so you always know it is at the proper pressure and ready to go without having to crawl under the TM.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Until our last camping trip, my original thinking on this was to only get the 510 rv $159 2 sensor system since I felt that the main reason of having the system was to avoid damage to the TM.

On our last trip it seems one of the rear brake calipers on our TV got hung up and wore one pad all the way down. I had no indication of the problem until the metal wear sensor on the one pad started making noise. I am hoping that by choosing a TPMS system that monitor both Tv/TM with a pressure/temperature indication/alarm that i can get a heads-up for problems like this before the problem gets serious.

@MudDog, Yes, i am considering ordering another sensor for the spare.

Tim
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
rumbleweed

Many members including myself bought the 507 from here. http://tsttruck.com/

Replaceable batteries and great performance and service.

Good luck.