TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
TMMiniVan

Default odd sized tongue jack?

Does TM have an odd sized tongue jack or is it just ours? We just bought it and we have yet to find a caster wheel that fits. The dealer isn't a TM dealer - they had it on a trade in so they don't know and told us to call TM. I will but I wondered if others knew. We have a 2004 2720.

-Amy
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMiniVan View Post
Does TM have an odd sized tongue jack or is it just ours? We just bought it and we have yet to find a caster wheel that fits. The dealer isn't a TM dealer - they had it on a trade in so they don't know and told us to call TM. I will but I wondered if others knew. We have a 2004 2720.

-Amy
It looks standard to me, but I don't use a wheel. I used to have one in a box of old RV stuff, and if I can find it I'll see if it fits.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Mine is just a standard Atwood Electric that so far works with any attatchment I wonder if you have a different jack than what came with your TM.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default tonque jack

They are normally standard, I just picked up a sand pad for ours and it slips right on. Got the pad at a trailer parts place.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:

-Amy
Ours came with a power jack and it had a caster wheel with it. The outside diameter of the jack tube that fits into the caster is 2inches -- which I think is standard for jacks in this weight catagory.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
TMMiniVan

Thanks all! Ours is not a standard size. We have no idea why but I'm guessing we are going to just replace it with a standard size since we really can't get a wheel to work. Sorry for the delay in answering but I've been traveling (sans TM).

-Amy
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks all! Ours is not a standard size. We have no idea why but I'm guessing we are going to just replace it with a standard size since we really can't get a wheel to work. Sorry for the delay in answering but I've been traveling (sans TM).

-Amy
PM me your address, I will mail you our old wheel.

We replaced our center mounted jack with a "Swing-up" jack (so that we can open out T/gate all the way) and have no use for the wheel from our original jack.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with the wheel fit on the jack stem? Is it really really the wrong size? Or just won't quite fit?

I almost never use my wheel, but a couple weeks ago I needed it, and went to slip it on. It wouldn't go, though I know it did before. It turned out that in the years of using the jack without the wheel, the bottom of the stem had developed a slight outward burr at the very edge. Though it was hard to see, I could feel it with my finger, and the larger diameter of the burr prevented the stem from sliding into the receptacle on the wheel. Two minutes with a file cleaned off the burr, and it works again.

Just a thought

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
TMMiniVan

Bill,

The issue is that it is too narrow for the standard wheels. It slips in fine but it also slips right out! The 2" wheels is what they sell standard. My husband rigged up something that mostly worked but it isn't really safe. It was enough to get it out of the driveway and into the garage before the ice storm.

-Amy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Sounds like you need to measure the diameter of the jack shaft if you haven't already done so and proceed from there. Once the wheel is on and the clevis pin in place it should be very stable even if there is some play between jack shaft and the socket on the wheel. The other thing you could do if it hasn't been done already is put jack stands under the tongue, run down the stabilizing jacks and then remove the tongue jack and take it to a trailer parts place.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote