TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
doo le

Default dust control anybody?

we have a 20/27 for a few years. whenever we travel any sort of dirt road dust covers the inside considerably. Traveling slow does not work. Some dirt enters on pavement but not nearly as bad. The gaskets appear ok. I have read other posts that dust was not so bad, but it is for us. Any ideas or solutions? thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Tom-417

When traveling on dirt roads in a car or pickup, you can open the fresh air vent (close re-circulating) for positive air flow inside the cabin. This positive air flow enters just below the windshield and thru the air conditioner/heater. The TM has serveral ways for negative air to enter bringing in the dust, but I don't know of a way to get positive air flow. The bathroom vent and refrig would create negative air flow. Perhaps the fan in the ceiling???
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
dw8ite

We have experienced issues with dust entering our TM also. The best (worst) example was a trip which terminated with 30 miles of very dry and dusty dirt road in Colorado. After seeing the amount of dust inside the TM I investigated entry points to see if I might be able to seal them. Actually, there are too many.

I did determine, however, that the outside walls at the back of the front shell were not the same distance from the walls of the rear shell at the bottom as they are at the top. There is a gap at the bottom that allows dust to enter. I tried tying the two front shell stirrups together by running a rope from one to the other under the trailer right behind the wheels. This does close the gap and provides a significant improvement.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
retiredgoat

Hi All,

A few years ago this topic was addressed and one of the members noted he took dollar store contact paper (cheaper the better) and sealed the upper shell to the base or box all along or all around the TM. Your guess is as good as mine if it really works but for a few dollars and a little prep time you could have a fairly clean TM if it pays off.

Bob
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
camp2canoe

We use a product alternatively called stretch wrap or clear banding film if we know we'll be on dirt roads for a protacted time. It sticks to itself so when you peel it off there is no adhesive residue on the TM. It is also incredibly cheap. You have probably seen it wrapped around boxes on a pallet to keep them from separating. It is available at many hardware stores or at Northern Tool and Equipment. (If there are any sailors out there, it is a great way to protect your hull above the waterline while bottom painting or to band your rigging together when towing or storing your boat.) - camp2canoe