TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #1

Default 2001 Dodge conversion van, 2001 3326 King

5.9L V8, just travelled to Rhode Island and back to Florida with no problems.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:45 AM   #2

Default Re:2001 Dodge conversion van, 2001 3326 King

Just back from a trip to Nova Scotia pulling a 1999 3124KS with a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine (122,000 miles on engine). This trip culminates nearly 10,000 miles since May of this year. While towing I get 15-16 mpg on the aveage over the trip while east of the Mississippi. The higher mountains may change this figure when we go west next year.

The dealer in Texas installed a load level system that appears to be working well.

The modifications to vehicle and TM made so far are listed below:

1. replaced universal hitch after it bent to a custom hitch from U-Haul. The new hitch permits the rear car hatch to open with the TM attached but not up.

2. reset the electric brake switch when I discovered it was not engaging properly.

3. found the engine had an external transmission cooler already in place, so I returned the one I was to install.

4. converted to Mobil 1 engine oil and Amsoil transmission oil. Flushed engine cooling fluids and replaced with new.

5. replaced all TM tires (Carlile class C) with balanced Goodyear Marathon class D after blow-out on first trip. I run Michellin radial tires on the Caravan.

6. repaired vibration damage to bathroom area (door hinges pulled out, wall to kitchen delaminated from slide, replaced broken lamp cover.

7. found all hinge bolts on lifting mechanism loose and in some cases missing nuts in TM. Replaced and tightened. This made opening and closing much easier (duh).

8. stove front glass fell off, but did not brake. replaced the screws several times. need to use glue next time.

The list is quite small for the miles driven. The engine temperature rose above normal guage operating temperature only three times while climbing very steep mountains trying to keep up speed. Clearly I need to slow down under such conditions (and did).

Hope this helps. I'd be very interested in other Caravan experiences. Thanks

Gregg