TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default What it Really Weighs

TrailManor 3023 and Toyota Highlander (the Adventuremobile) Scale Results.

I decided some time ago that I often don't like reality very much. But over the years, I've learned to respect it. There's only one way to know exactly where you stand relative to your manufacturer's towing recommendations, and that's to take the rig to the scales and find out. We did this on the way to a 3 day dry camping adventure, about 150 miles round trip. This would be sort of a “worst case” for us, in that unlike most of our trips, we were planning to not be real handy to stores and restaurants and we had to generally have things along to get us through the trip without having a grocery store or Walmart handy every day.

Weights include Mr & Mrs. Adventure, full fuel and propane, no fresh water in the tank, full water heater, charged toilet, and an extra battery behind the passenger seat (25#). The rear seat was folded in the TV, with the TV load shifted forward for the weigh-in (not really necessary, it turns out). The trailer tongue battery was replaced with an Optima (sealed) battery in the rear TM compartment. Optional accessories include roof AC, awning, TV antenna, microwave, hanging cabinet, hanging shelf, electric tongue jack.

Hitched
Axle Rated Reality Margin
Front 2865 2540 325
Rear 2735 2340 395
Tow Vehicle 4985 4880 105
Trailer Axle 5080 3520 1560
Gross Combined 8485 8400 85

Unhitched
Front Axle 2865 2440 425
Rear Axle 2735 2020 715
Tow Vehicle 4985 4460 525

Tongue 506
Trailer axle 3434
Actual Trailer Gross Weight 3940 --- Trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 4838, Margin 898

Tongue Weight Distribution by Weight Distributing Hitch
Total tongue weight: 506
Moved to Front axle: 100
Still on Rear axle: 320
Moved to trailer axle: 86

Gas mileage towing: 16-17mpg; Solo: 20.5 mpg overall, 25 highway

Comments:
- I'm pleased to report that we're within all axle weight limits and the GCWR. Still wondering where 1000# above the empty weight is in that trailer, it seems that the 2915# empty TM 3023 weight listed in the brochure is an optimistic number. Our stuff? Maybe 400#, max.
- The tongue weight is also a bit higher than I expected, but easily reduced still further, if I wanted to, by dropping one propane bottle, or pushing the trailer load further aft.
- The WDH nicely adds 100# to the front axle, a boost for braking and steering performance.

Summary:
I've owned RVs for 30 years+, and this combo is as solid and steady on the road as any of them (3 pop-ups, one 29' TT, a 37' Winnebago, and this TrailManor 3023). We haven't seen a hill with the Trailmanor yet where the cruise control couldn't hold the speed limit if we wanted it to, though I'm sure they exist. Braking is solid and reliable, without noticeable fade on the East coast 2000 foot descents we've been visiting. Power to weight ratios are substantially better with the Highlander/TrailManor than they were with either the travel trailer or the motorhome.

My own experience with the Toyota Highlander fully supports the following, as quoted from the TrailManor website:

“A few more notes about tow ratings:

Tow ratings for vehicles should be described as “general guidelines”. Actual towing limits depend on towing speed, highway grades, elevation, desired acceleration, miles towed per year, tow vehicle loading, frontal area of trailer, sway resistance of trailer, etc.

TrailManor provides uniquely easy towing per pound due to the very low wind drag and the very stable ride resulting from axle placement.

Light duty towing of a well-balanced trailer a few hundred pounds above the rating is much safer than towing a lighter, poorly balanced unit with a tendency to sway. Also, towing an upright trailer with large frontal area at highway speeds can damage a transmission even if the trailer weight is below the tow rating.

Adding options, batteries, gear, fluids can increase loaded weights as much as 1000 pounds above the base weight of a specific trailer. You should add 500- 1000 pounds to the base weights to estimate the actual towed weight.

Based on feedback from our owners, we provide the following model guidance:

MODERATE TOWING CONDITIONS
Mostly low altitudes, only occasional steep grades, part time service, normal highway speeds - Models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound tow rated vehicles and Models 3124 through 3326 need 4000 pound ratings.

SEVERE TOWING CONDITIONS
High mountain towing, full time service - all models will perform better with at least 4000 pound rated tow vehicles.”
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
brulaz

That 5000# rated axle is nice.
I wish they had put one on my Elkmount and moved it forward a bit to reduce the tongue weight. The handling wouldn't be as good, but I wouldn't be exceeding my TV's GVWR as easily. Ah well, there are trade offs to everything ...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Your comment sent me back to the specs because it seems like a lot. But, the label plate on the trailer shows an axle gross weight of 5080, and a trailer gross vehicle weight rating of 4838. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I find it interesting that the axle weight of your 3023 is only 54 pounds more than my 3380 pounds for my 2720.

You don't take enough stuff!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
The3ofus

Mr Adventure,
Thanks for the great writeup on the TM and Highlander. Just the other day I took our TM and Ridgeline to the public scales for a weigh. I have a post just above you in this section. My question is how did you get the Tongue weight?. I have axle weights and gross weights on the printout. They weighed both TM & TV, then the TM, then TV. But, I have nothing that would show tongue weight?. Do I need to figure out this myself by adding or subtracting something?. Appreciate any help on this and check out my post also. If you need more info let me know.
regards.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
brulaz

I measured both my TV+Trailer (which gives 3 axle weights plus total) and TV alone (2 axles weights + total). Subtracting the two totals gives your trailer's total weight or GVW. Then subtracting the trailer's axle weight from that will give your trailer's tongue weight.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
BamaFlum

Mr. Adventure, how's the third row in the Highlander? When we travel, I have two kids in the middle row of our Odyssey and one in the back. Anything we drive has to have a split third row that would be comfortable for an 8-11 year old. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
BamaFlum

Never mind. I just some pictures of the 3rd row and they don't split. Alas, that won't work for us.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

BamaFlum:
Actually, I don't have a 3rd row seat (that became standard sometime after my model year).

The3ofus:
I'll be happy to answer any questions, but it looks like you've got it by now. Generally, to avoid the need for any algebra or hitching/unhitching on a busy scale, you'll need to weigh three times:
1) With the vehicle hitched, getting all 3 axle weights, and
2) With the WDH bars slacked, getting all three axle weights, and
3) Unhitched, leaving the trailer elsewhere on the lot, just the tow vehicle, both axles.

From these:
Gross Combined Weight is the sum of the axles on either the first or second weighing.
Gross Vehicle Weight is the third weighing.
The Tongue Weight is the difference between the total tow vehicle axle weights on the second and third weighings.
The total trailer weight is the difference between the GCR (either first or second) and the GVR for the tow vehicle alone (third).

Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
TrailManor 3023 and Toyota Highlander (the Adventuremobile) Scale Results.
Based on feedback from our owners, we provide the following model guidance:

MODERATE TOWING CONDITIONS
Mostly low altitudes, only occasional steep grades, part time service, normal highway speeds - Models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound tow rated vehicles and Models 3124 through 3326 need 4000 pound ratings.

SEVERE TOWING CONDITIONS
High mountain towing, full time service - all models will perform better with at least 4000 pound rated tow vehicles.”
Mr Adventure, I'm a bit confused with your post...
If I'm reading your post correctly, your 3023 actually weighed 3520 lbs.
Another user posts that their 2619 weighs 3780 lbs.
Many users have posted that their fully loaded TMs approach, and in some cases exceed 4000+ lbs.
So how you can say that "models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound TC TV's", when ALL of these weights are clearly OVER 3500 lbs?

And then for severe conditions, you only allow an additional 500 lbs of TC, when in one case you're already 280 lbs over the "standard" conditions ON THE SMALLEST model TM makes.

There have been numerous posts on this subject and I remember the number that was arrived at for safe operation was in the 5000 lb range.
I'm not sure what your basing the statement "Based on feedback from our owners, we provide the following model guidance:", as your numbers were not the ones discussed, and your examples already exceed your recommendations!