TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
boater454

Default Cost to add transmission cooler?

Any ideas as to what I should expect to be charged by the local garage to add an auxillary transmission cooler to my 2007, 3.8 Liter, Dodge Grand Caravan?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
rumbleweed

A good aux cooler should be about $150 and figure 2-4 hours labor depending on vehicle and installer. If you live in an area that gets very cold in winter, some coolers recommend a bypass control valve for non towing use during cold weather. Check your warranty to determine how the mod will effect it. May want to have dealer install it.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I seem to remember that they have to remove the front bumper on the Caravan to install the cooler.

You can find a good B&M or Hayden "Stacked plate" trans cooler for around $75 on eBay. This is just an example that I came up with quickly. Best to do your own research.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hayde...Q5fAccessories

For a few extra $ you can get a pusher fan like this one (if there is enough room for it):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROCO...Q5fAccessories

You will end up with something like this:

Try to stay away from the cheap "Pipe & fin" type oil coolers. They work but are much less effective for the same size cooler. Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deral...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
b&pcamping

I added a trans cooler to my Toyota Tacoma for just over $400.00 The cooler was less that half of that cost. There were additional parts needed and also I had them replace the transmission oil. It was steep, but I looked at it as insurance. I'm towing a 2619 with this truck. No issues other than reduced MPG.
Bruce
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
ED-n-KEL

Wayne, that Hayden looks to be the same unit I installed. I only had to buy some extra hose and a few fittings to mount it they way I wanted it. (I didn't want to cut any tranny lines for the gauge sending unit, etc)
I also installed the B&M inline temp gauge at the same time. Basically, I installed the sending unit with the cooler and then ran the wire for the gauge into the dash. I later installed the gauge and made the final electrical connections.
I had the advantage of installing the cooler while I was reinstalling my engine so I wasn't fighting a bunch of extra components on the front of the engine.

Basically it's not a major job. I think if you spent one Saturday taking the grill off and a few other things to do some planning, and then another Saturday to do the job, you would be ok.
Once I had my plans and parts, I think the install took a half a day.