TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
M&M Hokie

Default 2720/Tundra Weight Readings

I decided to gather a pretty extensive set of weights this morning before heading out on a camping trip. I don't know if anyone cares or will find this data interesting but I thought I would post it in the event that somebody did.

The TM is loaded to the gills (reefer full of drinks, 40gal water tank full, water heater full, toilet charged). I also have a pop up sun shade (40lb) and four folding chairs stored inside her. the Tow Vehicle weights include your humble host and a full tank of gas. The wife and kids are the only thing missing from the driveaway configuration. The truck bed has a full ice chest, a 90lb generator, an empty blackwater dolly, a tool chest, and two kids bikes along and a couple of negligible items.

I did 5 sets of weighings, one with just the TV, and 4 with the TV/TM combo using different amounts of tension on the WDH. All weights are in pounds and the clearances (which are measurements to a reference location) are in inches. Bold values are measured and italicized values are calculated (I hope I didn't make a mistake).

Most things came in where I expected them although I was a bit surprised by the TV situation. Given the GVWR of 7100 pounds, I will be over a bit when wife and kids get in the rig with me. Pretty surprising given that this is a "half-ton" truck. I was also a bit surprised at how the clearance measurements varied and did not fully track expectation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer.pdf (41.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
brulaz

This weigh station must only take one measurement at a time. It doesn't look like it does all 3 axles simultaneously as you had to calculate axle2 and axle3 from TV weight and Entire Rig weight respectively?

So I guess you drove on the scale part way to just get axle 1, then put both TV axles on to get TV weight and then dragged the whole rig on to get it all.

The GVWR problem is similar to mine but not as bad. I too am surprised, but then you have more tongue weight, a heavier vehicle, and more people onboard.

I suppose a three quarter ton pickup would give both of us a bit more room for cargo.

Also noticed that your WDH never lowered the front of the TV even at the highest setting. It's still slightly lifted. But if you used heftier spring bars, you would probably throw too much weight back on your trailer axle, exceeding 3640#.

Thanks for the useful info. This stuff is really good for comparison purposes and making future purchasing decisions.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
vnmtm1

Default Surprising

Thank you for posting your results. This is extremely helpful since we have a similar TV and a 3023.

For most trips, our gear load-out is about the same as yours, less 2 kids, less bikes, plus a couple of kayaks. Being so close to the GVWR's is indeed a surprise.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

The scale I used is long enough for an 18 wheeler but I recorded each axle at a time so I could parse data better. I actually forgot to do one more weighing which was each TM wheel separately so I could see side to side variation.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
brulaz

Another interesting number is your tongue weight. Without the WDH spring bars it must be greater than 720#. My Elkmont is 620#.

Many vehicles can't handle that much. I know my Tacoma's factory hitch receiver is only rated t 650#. A WDH is really necessary in these cases.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Another interesting number is your tongue weight. Without the WDH spring bars it must be greater than 720#. My Elkmont is 620#.

Many vehicles can't handle that much. I know my Tacoma's factory hitch receiver is only rated t 650#. A WDH is really necessary in these cases.
In theory you are correct about the 720 number; however, that 1 link loose configuration was almost tensionless. I might as well have run without spring bars. And if the spring bars were left at home, I would have eliminated about 20 pounds. It is probably a push.

I am glad I did all of the weighings. Moving forward I will work with the 4-link configuration and optimize weight distribution between truck bed and TM. I think I will also try to move more of the heavy stuff to the rear underbed storage. The stuff in there now is low weight high bulk.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default 2720/Tundra Weight Readings

Mark;

(I assume Mary did not do the TV and TM weighing work and posting. I apologize if I am just a chauvinistic pig).

I have included the weight results from your post # 172 in my general TMGVWR summary spread sheet.

Attached is a copy of that spread sheet in .pdf form.

I started this spread sheet some months ago because I suspected most all TMs were being operated at or above the TM sticker design limits. It is also available in the Forum General Discussions under the thread "Actual Weight of my TM".

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW4a.pdf (57.3 KB, 35 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Mark;

I forgot to ask. Did your 2720 come with 15" wheels?

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
I assume Mary did not do the TV and TM weighing work and posting. I apologize if I am a just chauvinistic pig.
Jerry,

Good assumption. Thanks for recording the data in a place where more can benefit. With so many questions on the forum related to tow vehicles and trailer weights, the more data the better.

Mark (not Mary)
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Mark and Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time and posting that data......very helpful.

Wayne