TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbob View Post
My 09 had the controller from the factory. Inside the glove compartment was the fuse and relay necessary to charge the trailer battery. There was a connector for an alternative controller. The connector is behind the box to the right of the wheel where my factory controller is located. Also had directions titled F-Series, Electrical Trailer Tow Installation Instructions-fairly detailed. Let me know if you need a copy of this.
I'd appreciate the instructions. Another question: Is there, indeed, a fuse and relay that is needed to charge the TM battery? I bought my 2000 F150 used and did NOT find the brake control harness or any fuse and relay. I guess I will have to contact the dealership about this?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
grakin

You can test to see if things are hooked up with a volt meter - measure the voltage between the charge connector pin and ground pin on the 7-way connector (see http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx to determine which pin it is), on the vehicle (no trailer plugged in).

An alternative way of testing to see if you have 12 volt power is to unplug your TM from shore power, pull the 30 amp fuse at your TM battery, and then plug your TM into your tow vehicle. If you can turn on the light at the front of the TM (the one with the switch) or the one by the water heater (which also has a switch), you have the necessary fuses and relays. Your vehicle may need to be "on" to do this test (I'd recommend having the engine running so you don't drain your battery in your tow vehicle).

For my Ford, it came set up with the necessary fuses/relays, and I didn't have to do anything - I have 12 volt power when the key is "on", nothing when it is off.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
whbob

Default F150 Tow Package

My owners manual for my 2009 F150 shows the fuse block under the hood with sockets for the fuse and relay for charging the trailer battery. In 09, they were putting the hitches on all F150's. Your 2000 may or may not have similar setup because few trucks came from the factory with the hitch and wiring harness installed.