TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
moneeleann

Default Anyone here tow a 3023 with a minivan?

Looking for real life stories here. This was my dream camper, and I am questioning my ability to pull it. Looking at an older model, listed to weigh 2670.

For the record, I will only use one battery and one propane tank, and I keep my gear very light (currently in a popup). I know I will be very close to the limits with my van (which is fully equipped to tow- including tranny cooler), but I don't drive long distances to camp, nor do I travel in any mountain terrain. Im looking for real life experiences from others who tow their TM with a van. How does it handle?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

moneeleann -

There is lots of information on this board, and lots of stories about pulling with a number of different minivans. You need to do a Search in the Towing Rigs forum, using terms like "Odyssey" or "minivan" or the name of your particular van.

I think your Free Trial Membership is about to expire, so you will very soon need to become a Sponsor in order to have complete access to the board. Go to the entry page of the forum at www.trailmanorowners.com, and click the link for Sponsorship.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
TexasCamper

Default Minivans towing 3023

I tow a 2008 Model 3023 with a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country with a 3.8L engine and factory-installed tow package. The tow package, including load leveling suspension and heavy duty engine & trans cooling, increased the tow capacity. Even with that, I am near capacity when I weighed it packed.

I pack light (no heavy toys or gear, no generator, no water tanks filled). Living in TX, most towing is on flat terrain at moderate elevation. I don't "mountain hop" and have used a road guide to avoid significant mountain passes in CO and WY (e.g., >6% grade).

Since the 3023 tongue weight is near limit, I need a weight distribution hitch. With the WDH, my van stays level when hitched. I also keep one propane tank empty, and limit packing in the far back of the minivan.

Towing is smooth with no sway. Braking is good with the TrailManor's brakes and Tekonsha brake controller (which I check power setting each trip). It passed the test with a few emergency braking events.

A side-bar conversation on my towing with the T&C was carved out into this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12221
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann View Post
Looking for real life stories here. This was my dream camper, and I am questioning my ability to pull it. Looking at an older model, listed to weigh 2670.

For the record, I will only use one battery and one propane tank, and I keep my gear very light (currently in a popup). I know I will be very close to the limits with my van (which is fully equipped to tow- including tranny cooler), but I don't drive long distances to camp, nor do I travel in any mountain terrain. Im looking for real life experiences from others who tow their TM with a van. How does it handle?
A couple questions:
- Where do you live and plan to go?
- Which minivan do you have?
- There are popups that weigh more than 2650#. What does your owner's manual say about your tow ratings?

This thread begins with my numbers on the truck scale, and has a lot of subsequent commentary as well: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
moneeleann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
A couple questions:
- Where do you live and plan to go?
- Which minivan do you have?
- There are popups that weigh more than 2650#. What does your owner's manual say about your tow ratings?

This thread begins with my numbers on the truck scale, and has a lot of subsequent commentary as well: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652
Your numbers were very helpful to me, as are most of your posts.

I live in Oklahoma. I will be towing it exclusively in Oklahoma, rarely more than 50 miles from my home (i camp with my parents and they like to stay closer to home). I live in a suburb of okc, so it is flat everywhere.

I am towing with a 2008 Chevy uplander. 3.9L engine, tow package including additional transmission cooler. Equipped with prodigy brake controller, class 3 hitch, air bags installed in springs. I just bought a wdh, to be ready. Factory specs list this as 350/3500.

I currently tow a jayco 1206 with king/queen beds and a dinette slide. Dry weight is just under 2500, if I remember correctly. Tongue weight is 400ish dry.

I do think my risk is small in my situation. I also pack incredibly light. We've decided to go for it, and hope to acquire one soon.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann View Post
Your numbers were very helpful to me, as are most of your posts.

I live in Oklahoma. I will be towing it exclusively in Oklahoma, rarely more than 50 miles from my home (i camp with my parents and they like to stay closer to home). I live in a suburb of okc, so it is flat everywhere.

I am towing with a 2008 Chevy uplander. 3.9L engine, tow package including additional transmission cooler. Equipped with prodigy brake controller, class 3 hitch, air bags installed in springs. I just bought a wdh, to be ready. Factory specs list this as 350/3500.

I currently tow a jayco 1206 with king/queen beds and a dinette slide. Dry weight is just under 2500, if I remember correctly. Tongue weight is 400ish dry.

I do think my risk is small in my situation. I also pack incredibly light. We've decided to go for it, and hope to acquire one soon.
Of course, I don't know your vehicle and I can't read the door placards and owner's manual, but there's very useful information there. From a quick pass through the specs, I suspect your experience might be pretty similar to mine. The truck scale will be very helpful in getting your load distributions right (air bags boost the rear springs, but tongue weight still reduces steering and braking performance by lifting the front axle). According to this site, you have an 8500# gross combined weight rating, which would give you about 4400# between the curb weight and the GCWR to work with: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...icle/gcwr7.htm And, if you don't have the manufacturer's towing package, you'll want to do everything possible to install the relevant features.

As in everything when towing, take it easy and always keep a wary eye on things. And welcome to the forum!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote