TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
moaboy

Last I checked it was a height limit of 6.8 on the going to the sun highway.

Incredible drive.

Bill where is the tranmission cooler on an Odyssey?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have no specific knowledge of the Odyssey, never having owned one. But the stock cooler often looks like a small part of the main radiator. It may be in the upper part or the lower part, but it has the same finned appearance, and a separate pair of hoses, different from the big (2" or so) black hoses that bring water to and from the radiator. An auxiliary cooler will look like a mini-radiator mounted in front of the big one.

At odysseyownersclub.com/forum, there are some pics that may be useful. Do a search and scroll down through the posts. One post suggests that it is not a finned mini-radiator, but is a single tube snaking back and forth in front of the main radiator. Another set of posts suggest that you also need a power steering cooler. Several poss will direct you to HandA Accessories, where you will see coolers and installation instructions.

No matter what, you can be sure of two things:
1. If it has an automatic transmission, the basic Ody has a stock tranny cooler of some kind, and
2. The stock tranny cooler is almost certainly not enough to handle a towing load.

Anyone out there know more?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
krusen

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
where is the tranmission cooler on an Odyssey?
Here's a link showing the cooler on an earlier gen Odyssey. My 2008 was in a similar location; in front of the radiator catching gravel coming in through the air dam. Picture 39 on this PDF shows the unfinned factory transmission cooler tube snaking across the radiator.
http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf

Interesting item is that the Power Steering cooler was noted as being as important as the transmission cooler. The logic cited was that when towing, you're going to be in a lower gear running at higher RPM's. These extended high engine speeds will overheat the power steering fluid due to frictional as it circulates through the pump.

Thanks to others for the map suggestions.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
gcubed

I have been towing a 2619 for a while, we went up to the sequois. It had no problem making it up the hills, If I recall I was in 2nd or 3rd gear all the way up traveling at about 35 miles per hr. If you do it be sure you have the tran cooler installed. Mine is a 2007 odyssey we had myself my wife and 2 kids.
I just purchased a 2011 Pilot 4wd. I can say there is a difference in towing I don't feel the trailer as much now. But I can not beat the mileage in the odyssey it was between 16 and 17 mpg.

Either way I don't think you should have any problems with the odyssey. Just don't overload it
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! Extended heavy towing in second gear? Just my feeling, but I wouldn't do it without at least a transmission-temperature gauge, so you know when it is overheating, and how badly, and when to pull off and let it cool for half an hour. A gauge is cheap insurance - transmissions are really REALLY expensive.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
ng2951

Don't forget ScanGauge. It plugs into the monitor and jack and can (as opposed to will) monitor transmission temps. (Just not in my Taco)...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
gcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wow! Extended heavy towing in second gear? Just my feeling, but I wouldn't do it without at least a transmission-temperature gauge, so you know when it is overheating, and how badly, and when to pull off and let it cool for half an hour. A gauge is cheap insurance - transmissions are really REALLY expensive.

Bill
yes I had a bluetooth adapter connected to my android phone using a guage app. The temp topped about 212 deg at the hottest piont. I may have been in 3rd gear the whole way up, not second

-Gregg
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
TMMiniVan

We are another odyssey owner so I'm glad to see all these stories. My husband has been wanting to buy another TV at some point but for now, the odyssey is all we have that can tow. We have a 2004 2720.

-Amy