TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Tires – Tips and Comments

My plan for my first extended trip has now left the “cabin-fever dream stage” and has entered the realm of “reality prep”. Not first on the list, but very high up was to do something about my TM tires, which I now have completed and checked off the list. Here are some tips and comments that only reflect my experience and thinking – yours might easily be different.

Tip - It helps a LOT to read prior comments that have been previously posted here at TM Owner’s Pages.

Comment - Most comments in the archives are for single axle TM models. My TM 3326 has tandem (2 tires per side). This is an important difference because owners with tandems can divide the gross trailer weight (GVW) per tire by 4 instead of by 2 to determine what “load range” tire is needed. Significance of this is that with tandem wheels a load range of “C” on a tire has a higher margin of safety when used in tandem than for a single axle.

Comment - I have read (logical, but without confirmation) that tires which are constructed to handle a higher load ranges and/or which have more plies will run hotter than tires of lesser construction. Rural roads through mountains and forests probably have cool driving conditions, but I live in South Florida and drive a lot of interstates where Summer time super-heat conditions on tires leaves a LOT of RV’s along the side of the road. Maybe the safety of heavier construction is offset by the risk of heat buildup?

Comment - Goodyear Marathon tires have received many pro/con comments here, but most such comments are relatively old in the archives and were made at about the same time as a large recall of Chinese made tire valve stems that were causing blowouts. Are Marathon’s a good bet? I don’t know, but when I called the local Goodyear franchise dealer, the price quoted per tire was about $130 per tire – about twice the price of a Tow Master tire, for example. I need 5 tires counting the spare, hmmm.

Tip - Trailer tires, unlike car tires, rarely are driven until the tread is gone. The average life generally is quoted to be from 3 – 5 years because the tires will generally die first from:

1. Under inflation of tires by neglect or bad valves.
2. Diving faster than the max speed rating for trailer tires, usually about 65 mph.
3. Sun’s UV rays on the sidewalls while the trailer sits in storage.
4. Potholes.
5. Heat buildup in the tire from excessive speed, excessive load, and/or super heated road surface conditions.

Comment- Maybe it is better to just plan to buy a “sufficiently good” cheap tire every 3 years than to spend twice the price on a heavier constructed expensive tire on the hope that the tires will last longer (but probably won’t). Just my thinking and not advice.

Tip – After making all the decisions, call the chosen dealer to make sure that they will work on your trailer. Take the time to visit the dealer’s store and plan where to park and how to exit. Arrive at opening time (I had to get up before 5am and hitch in the dark!) so the designated parking site hopefully will be available. Go ahead and pull the spare out ahead of arrival – saves time.

Tip – Take your own tool for removing that TM cover over the tire well. It takes what is sometimes called a “square head driver” for the screws. The dealer’s (not always language adept) mechanic might not have seen such a screw before. This tool is essential anyway for fixing an emergency flat on the road – a previous poster said that he didn’t have the requisite driver and wound up using shears to make a tire shaped cut-out in the cover!

Tip – I bought a set of two “square head drivers” (small and smaller) cheap at the local Harbor Freight store but I think that Home Depot also carries at least one size. On my set, the larger of the two drivers was the one that worked for me.

Comment- The dealer probably won’t know where to put the jack. The TM manual has a section on changing flat tires that is good to read which calls for putting the jack on the FRAME not the axle.

Comment - I had an excellent mechanic who first used his air powered lug wrench to slightly under-torque the lugs then he went back to each lug and did the final tightening with a hand operated torque wrench to obtain what my TM manual calls for (90 – 95 foot pounds).

Tip – Expect an audience and whistles of amazement when you fold your trailer back down! Wait. You weren’t thinking that you could have the tires changed without completely opening the TM up, were you?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

All good stuff except

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Comment - I have read (logical, but without confirmation) that tires which are constructed to handle a higher load ranges and/or which have more plies will run hotter than tires of lesser construction.
Where on earth did you read that? It's exactly wrong. Tires loaded near their rating overheat, and heat causes failures. Tires loaded well under their ratings run cool. When I first got my 15" Marathons, the first thing I noticed is that they run almost stone-cold - colder than the TV tires. The 14" Marathons ran quite warm (though not hot) under the same conditions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
All good stuff except

Where on earth did you read that? It's exactly wrong. Tires loaded near their rating overheat, and heat causes failures. Tires loaded well under their ratings run cool. When I first got my 15" Marathons, the first thing I noticed is that they run almost stone-cold - colder than the TV tires. The 14" Marathons ran quite warm (though not hot) under the same conditions.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I freely admit that my earlier stated post about heat in heavier tires was something I read but did not confirm since it seemed logical to me because more mass can absorb more energy in the form of heat which in turn must either be lost or retained. I didn't take it any further than that at the time.

Just now, I tried unsuccessfully to retrace my earlier steps to find the source, but I went to too many places when doing my research. I then did a Google search on "heat, heavy, trailer tires" and found just this one poster who appeared to be referring to an earlier statement (so at the very least, I am not alone in thinking that heavier constructed (more plies?) might generate more heat than a lighter constructed tire).

Quote:
... Not sure about the plys grinding together making heat, it is really just a matter of flex. Think of bending a coat hanger back and forth until it breaks, as you bend it it builds heat. Same with the tires, each time the sidewall flexes it makes heat, ....
http://tinyurl.com/4syyv3s

Not saying that what you posted is in any way wrong - and not even saying that this above quote is correct = or even that it makes a good case - just saying that I read somewhere that heavier constructed tires could mean some degree of extra heat.

Of course, what you posted is correct and especially so for most TM owners with trailers that have two tires carrying the load. For me, with four, Range C, ST215/75/r14 tires in tandem, rated at 1870 lbs each, and with a TM that is spec'd at 3520 lbs dry, while the danger from tire heat caused by overloading the trailer is a factor that must always be kept in mind, so also should underinflation, speeding too fast, and bad road conditions (pot holes, nails, heat, etc) be considered.

Thanks for the comment and the extra emphasis on looking at trailer weight loads per tire when making a purchase.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
– .................snip............ about twice the price of a Tow Master tire, for example. I need 5 tires counting the spare, hmmm.
..................snip............................ ..

Just a thought here...last year we put new Carlise on the pup....by the time we got to Fairbanks, Ak , 10k miles they were shot
Our only choice was the Tow Master.....only lasted 7k miles now the Dexter axle had a problem.... when we weighed the pup it was 400# under the GVWR.... about 600# below the axle rating. In both cases the tires were balanced and wheel bearings correctly adjusted. These were D load range 13 inch tires at 1720# rating in both cases.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I can remove my tires and replace it with a spare while the TM is fully closed. But I do have the lift kit and 14 inch wheels.

I just used the two corner jacks to lift the trailer up to swap in the spare. I had to use the hand crank instead of my cordless drill. It took me 15 to 20 minutes to swap the tire by myself.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Just a thought here...last year we put new Carlise on the pup....by the time we got to Fairbanks, Ak , 10k miles they were shot
Our only choice was the Tow Master.....only lasted 7k miles now the Dexter axle had a problem.... when we weighed the pup it was 400# under the GVWR.... about 600# below the axle rating. In both cases the tires were balanced and wheel bearings correctly adjusted. These were D load range 13 inch tires at 1720# rating in both cases.
Hey Scrubjaysnest - I agree with what I think is the essence of your thought - ie that 10k miles for the Carlisle and only 7k miles for the Tow Master tires sure doesn't sound like much travel for the dollar. Personally, I love your idea of just placing a TT at a fish camp in a national forest and leaving it there until the tires disintegrate .

Carlisle has some "Trailer Tire Facts" out that aren't original just to them (I've seen the same "Facts" posted elsewhere, and here are a couple of the "Facts" they include:
1. "The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles."
2. "In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone."
http://tinyurl.com/4gfhz37

My plan is to try to get at least 7,000 miles in no less than 3 years over smooth roads in non-desert conditions and then no matter what - replace the tires. Still cheaper and more fun than staying in motels!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default tire mileage

That was an interesting link....I was surprised though at the lack of mileage. If we didn't have a camber problem with the axle, caused wear on the inside of the tire, I would think we would have gotten closer to 20 to 25k miles. But if all one can expect is 7 to 12k miles that means taking not one extra set but two.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I put over 40,000 miles on a set of 14" Cooper LT tires on my 98 3023 TM. No Problems.