TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
OleBiker

Thumbs down Estimated $ cost for (brake controller + installation)

Just purchased a 2011 Honda Odyssey with dealer installed towing package. Now, I need to have a brake controller installed. The Honda dealer does not offer this service. My TM is a 2006 2619 model. I live in central PA. Wondering if anyone here is towing with a Honda Odyssey. Also, wondering what I can expect to pay for the purchase and installation of the controller. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Part of the towing package should have been a 7-pin electrical connector near the hitch (and note that there is no such thing as a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter). Did the dealer install this connector? One of the 7 wires is the power wire to the TM brakes, and the other end of it should be behind the dash somewhere - the dealer can show you where.

Assuming this wire is in place, the rest is easy. You should expect to pay a bit over $100, maybe up to $150, for a good controller. Although there are many, for newcomers I always recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 (but not the Voyager) - they are good proportional (inertial) controllers, and very widely used and understood. Installation by an RV shop shouldn't take more than an hour (and they probably have a one-hour minimum), so that will be another $60-$100.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBiker View Post
Just purchased a 2011 Honda Odyssey with dealer installed towing package. Now, I need to have a brake controller installed. The Honda dealer does not offer this service. My TM is a 2006 2619 model. I live in central PA. Wondering if anyone here is towing with a Honda Odyssey. Also, wondering what I can expect to pay for the purchase and installation of the controller. Thanks for your reply.
Bill is quite right about the Prodigy. I have had ZERO problems with mine. It was originally installed by Custom RV as part of the package when I bought my trailer. It did everything it was advertised to do.

My truck was a '96 F-150 and it fit under the dash. When I bought my 2010 F-150 it did not have a controller. So I asked the Ford folks what one of theirs which fits the recess in the dash would cost. $350-$400 was the answer.

My prodigy works just as well on the new truck as it did on the old one. It sticks out of the recess a couple of inches, but is only a few inches from my right hand as I drive.

So $100-$150 for a controller seems quite reasonable to me.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
OleBiker

The dealer installed a 4-pin connector. I asked for the 7-pin and was told that would have to be provided by whomever installs the brake controller.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That likely means there are not wires going from the dash to the connector for brake control and power. That is a little more involved....certainly something you can do yourself, but otherwise, I bet you're looking at a few hours of labor at a shop.

Just out of curiosity, why not tow with your F-150? It's much more capable, and it may already even be prewired for a brake controller with a 7-pin connector.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the dealer installed a 4-pin connector, did he also install a 1-1/4" (Class I or Class II) hitch receiver? These are not adequate to tow a TM - don't even try it. You must have a 2" hitch receiver, rated at least Class III.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBiker View Post
The dealer installed a 4-pin connector. I asked for the 7-pin and was told that would have to be provided by whomever installs the brake controller.
Bill's right, be sure your hitch receiver is rated for a weight Distributing Hitch and at least 500# of tongue weight. A trailer connector that connects the turn signals and brake lights to a flat four connector is commercially available, and that's probably what you have. You still need the 7 way connector and brake controller, but the wires in the flat-four are a good start, but you'll need 2 more wires (one to the brake controller that will mount under the dash, and one to a good strong 12v electrical supply). If your state does trailer inspections it's possible that you might also need a third wire into the 7 way connector for backup lights. You'll also need either a Tekonsha Prodigy or Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a Weight Distributing hitch. I've installed these myself, but it's easier to have the RV guys do it for you if you haven't had one before.

Do a search in this forum on "Odyssey" to find posts from owners with Honda Odyssey experience.

We've heard that Honda doesn't recommend a Weight Distributing Hitch, but no one has provided any reliable information as to how this could be a good idea for anybody trying to tow a TrailManor with a Honda Odyessy. I would even not tow my TrailManor home from the storage lot without one, because the undistributed tongue weight would unacceptably reduce the front axle weight. I believe you will find actual forum owner experience with the Honda Odyessy using a WDH to be helpful.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
OleBiker

The dealer installed towing package came with a 2" receiver, a 4-wire plug, transmission cooler & power steering cooler. I do tow with my F150, however since my wife does not drive this truck, it would be nicer for her to drive the Odyssey once we are set up at the camp site.