TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribeworks View Post
I think y'all are unveiling the one flaw in Trail Manor's marketing claim that their trailers
tow as easily as a canvas popup (or words to that effect). I have a Mercury Mariner with an
upgraded motor that can pull the weight of a TM but because of the electrical relays (like
big fuses) limitations I can only use a 4 pin towing harness which excludes having a brake
controller because they require a 7 pin harness. Canvas popups do not have brakes on them so they work on 4pin harness; the TM evidently has electrical brakes on all the wheels and as
Freedom and others point out if your towed rig has such brakes then you must install a brake controller or be illegal in most States (not to mention void the warranty on your towing vehicle if you ignore the rule)...if I am wrong with this, I sure would like to hear it, as I would love to buy a TM without having to upgrade my Mariner..!
I posted an answer for you on a separate thread, but the problems with this original 2006 thread as well as your question is with your brake controller installer, not the Tow vehicles. In both cases people are confusing the tail lights with the way the brake controller works. The brake controller MUST be installed within easy reach of the driver, and the installers in each of these threads instead have their thinking hard wired to the things that are within easy reach of the taillights.

These days you can easily get a copy of the installation instructions from the manufacturer on their websites. Improperly installed braking devices are dangerous, so it's worth taking the time to get this figured out.

Further to the point for either the Lexus 330 or the Mariner, please read your manufacturer's instructions carefully about towing limits. Do not even think about towing without a properly adjusted weight distributing hitch, and consider a 2619 or a 3023 instead of a 2720 if you need to be concerned about tongue weight on the tow vehicle.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #22
rumbleweed

Not sure I understand the relay issue limiting a full bargmann connector. There are three additional wires that need to be added.
1. +12V DC supply to charge battery. This is nothing more than a heavy gauge wire ( #10) from either the battery or a major 12V buss through a fuse to the 12V pin on the connector.
2, A wire from the output of the electronic brake controller to the brake pin on the trailer connector.
3. A wire to the backup light pin on the connector, may want a small relay here depending on fuse size for the TV B/U lights.
4. I would replace the ground wire on the bargmann with a heavier one with the other end connected to a solid frame ground on the TV.