TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default A question for Tundra owners.

I purchased a new Tundra today. It has the tow package that includes "trailer brake controller prewire." Does this mean I can just hook the TM to the plug by the hitch or do I need to get something and install it?

Boy it is hard when you know so little about something. This is the first time I have ever towed something like this.

Everyone here is so helpful. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all of your help!
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
M&M Hokie

The Tundra does not come with a trailer brake controller but the prewiring means that it is very easy to connect one. In your glove compartment you should find a harness that you can connect to the one that comes with your controller. Behind a panel near the parking brake pedal you will find the other end of the pigtail. It is a very simple install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 012.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	4867  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

When mounting the controller, I'd advise choosing a location where you can easily and naturally access it in a panic situation. For me, this meant mounting it on the right side of the steering wheel because I am right handed. On my brake controller at least, there is a lever to manually activate your trailer brakes. I can tell you from experience that this lever comes in very handy when you lose substantial braking power in your TV.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Yep, you need to buy a brake controller. It connects as Dave and M&M have described. A lot of us use the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

Keith
Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the information. Hmmm one more thing to do. Does the prodigy controller have to be manually operated or is it automatic? What about the WDH should I get one before I tow my TM 170 miles home over moderate mountains or can I wait on this?
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
M&M Hokie

The prodigy can be manually operated by sliding the lever that Dave correctly mentions ought to be within easy reach. Standard braking though is done automatically. That wiring harness you plug into connects to the brake light switch so that the controller knows you are pressing the brake pedal. the amount of applied force is a function of measured accelerations and the gain to which the controller is set. Once set correctly with a suitable tow vehicle, you will hardly know you have that extra 4000 pounds pushing on you.

As for the WDH, I would always recommend that one have one. The true determination as to whether it is necessary requires one to measure the sag the tongue weight puts on the tow vehicle. If the front axle of the tow vehicle is getting too unloaded by all of that weight in the back, handling, steering, and braking will all suffer.