TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Zoltan

Bill- Overall, I continue to question some of the wording Trailmanor uses when discussing a vehicle's towing capacity. For example, the website has distinctly asserted that vehicles such as a Sienna, Odyssey, and even a RAV4 can EASILY tow a 30 foot trailer. Hmmm... the 30 footer weighs 2915 sans fluids, and the typical tow rating for the aforementioned rigs is 3500. It seems a rare sort who can camp/travel with only 585 lbs of passengers, gear, etc. Yes, I did see the disclaimer below the initial tag line, but I still feel some of the language used in this instance is hyperbolic.

Rumble- Great link, loved the information-- Makes me want to stay well within the 3500lb maximum. Sadly, I will likely have to purchase another product.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
rumbleweed

The RV industry and for that matter the entire retail economy is struggling for survival. Some have crossed the truth in advertising line, but those that have not are certainly pushing hard against it. I am not sure TM is much different than most others. I would bet that your car/ TV doesn't get the milage advertised. It is important to do your homework before any major purchase. In your case you have the advantage of many well seasoned TM owners on this board. We would love to have you as a fellow TM owner but only if that ownership creates an enjoyable and safe experience.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
M&M Hokie

Just to add to rumbleweed's comment.

The Sienna always pulled the TM easily. What it doesn't do easily is brake, handle, or handle the tongue weight. While I was able to get things within the ratings, I removed two of the middle row seats from my Sienna and all of the optional cabinets from my TM. Of course if you go by dry weights and not actual loaded weights, you can make a better case on paper.

I can understand the criticism being leveled at TM to a point but I think that the criticism here is a bit more sharp than is warranted. Are their advertisements any more optimistic than that of fitness/diet/hair products? For crying out loud, should dudes wearing Tag body spray complain that they aren't getting attacked by hot chicks as often as the commercials would suggest? Has anybody ever been to a party with as much excitement and beautiful people as your average beer commercial?

Why is TM supposed to be held to some higher standard of marketing responsibility?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
Bill -
Overall, I continue to question some of the wording Trailmanor uses when discussing a vehicle's towing capacity.
We all do. TM is one of the better mfrs, in that they warn you to add 500-1000 pounds to the dry weight of your TM when considering towing. Most other mfrs don't bother. But some of the prose still doesn't feel quite right, does it?

But I'm not sure how TM should handle it. If you try to pin it down more closely, you immediately get into questions of how much you load in your tow vehicle, how much you load in your TM, and WHERE YOU TOW - something that is routinely ignored despite my years of harping on it. Can it be that no one is listening? In other words, there is not a single simple answer that fits all situations, and everyone thinks there should be. As a result, too many people choose to look at one portion of the site and ignore the other. And remember, TM doesn't discuss the towing capacity of vehicles - they simply present a list of what the tow vehicle manufacturers say.

To my mind, this issue is one of the values of this TMO discussion board. We are not connected to the TM factory, and we owe them no special answers. If our members disagree with something the factory says, we are free to express that disagreement - and belive me, we do!

Dunno if that helps, but you are not alone.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #25
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
Just to add to rumbleweed's comment.

The Sienna always pulled the TM easily. What it doesn't do easily is brake, handle, or handle the tongue weight. While I was able to get things within the ratings, I removed two of the middle row seats from my Sienna and all of the optional cabinets from my TM. Of course if you go by dry weights and not actual loaded weights, you can make a better case on paper.

I can understand the criticism being leveled at TM to a point but I think that the criticism here is a bit more sharp than is warranted. Are their advertisements any more optimistic than that of fitness/diet/hair products? For crying out loud, should dudes wearing Tag body spray complain that they aren't getting attacked by hot chicks as often as the commercials would suggest? Has anybody ever been to a party with as much excitement and beautiful people as your average beer commercial?

Why is TM supposed to be held to some higher standard of marketing responsibility?
I agree with you to a certain extent. However, fitness/diet/hair products nor Tag body spray have the potential of killing someone that an over taxed tow vehicle has.

The only issue that I have with TMs advertising is the statement that
"Any of these vehicles can easily tow any of our 30' trailers". That appears a tad irresponsible to me. Especially a Rav4.....I mean.....really .