TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
drwu52

Default Another Jeep Liberty towing question

My wife and I were planning on purchasing the Trailmanor 3124 to be towed by our Jeep Liberty, but have read posts on Trailmanor Owners Forum that this is not a good (safe) combination (despite the dealer's assertions that it was fine, as long as we used an anti-sway bar). We are heartbroken since we can't afford to purchase a new tow vehicle at this time, but don't want the smaller trailmanor because of the smaller bed.
Therefore, we were wondering if your advice would be any different if we were to limit our towing to flat Florida (but driving it still on the interstate) until we can get the larger tow vehicle? If this is possible, what trailer hitch options should we get? Can we use some type of hitch extension (found one specifically for the Liberty that says it "does not diminish towing capacity at all") so that we can leave the Jeep's spare tire on (or is there some way to attach the Jeep spare to the Trailmanor)?
Thanks for any insight you can give us on this issue!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
RogerR

I have towed our 2720 about 8,000 miles with no problems. You are adding 4 more feet and some pounds. Could you go to the dealer and try it out?
My hitch lets me leave the spare on the car, can't open door and get in back though.
The real problem with the longer trailer is that you can get wind suck by trucks and side winds. If you have the gas liberty you may also be getting over the weight limit with supplies, water clothes, cookware, etc.
My wife and I like the queen size 2720 but will have to part with it soon as her bad knee makes it very hard to get in/out of the bed.
Ps when I picked up the 2720 I did not have the wdh installed and that was a real thrill, the trailer was really wagging the dog! Reply to me if you want to ask specific questions. Safe travel!!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You have obviously done your research and are aware of the issues with the Liberty so I won't belabor the issue.

Towing on flat and level (as Florida is) is safer than towing in hilly country or mountains for any vehicle. That's a given. However, there always seems to come that "One special trip" that comes up. All too often, the owner says, "Ahhhhh.....what the heck, just this one time". That's when your risk increases. You may get away with it (as the previous poster has) or you may not. Only you can determine what risk you are willing to take.

As far as a hitch extension goes......one of the main issues that the Jeep Liberty has is the short wheel base. Any hitch extension will exacerbate that problem. It has more to do with taking weight off of the front wheels than it does your tongue weight, which I would emagine you may be over on anyway.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
SCBillandJane

You can see what we have a 3124 but with an extra large tow vehicle. We have towed over 20,000 miles from Alaska to Key West without any sway except for one time in Florida. We were returning to SC from the Everglades. There had been stormy weather with heavy rain all day. We were on the interstate going through Jacksonville on one of those high bridges over some water when a very strong gust of wind hit us from the side and shoved us half a lane sideways. Both truck and trailer were shoved the same amount and there was no loss of control. Then came the next unexpected thing. As we came over the top of the bridge a full size pick up pulling a large cargo trailer had lost control in front of us and had jack knifed on the bridge blocking our lane. We stopped on the wet bridge without a problem, but it was a while before our breathing returned to normal.
I can't say that a Jeep Liberty would have had trouble controlling the Trailmanor in this situation. I can say that I was glad I was towing with my truck. The above situation was so unexpected because of the location and previous towing experience. Both my wife and myself believe that the truck and trailer combination is less affected by wind than our other vehicle ( a Toyota 4 Runner ) by itself.
In summation, I think that your combination has a good chance to work well in Florida at lower speeds, for short trips, with the right hitch equipment, and in good weather. I still wouldn't do it. There is always going to be that unusual set of conditions and that is why I bought a large truck. IMO I traded a small amount of gas milage for a large improvement in safety.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
allenj

I would consider a weight distribution hitch mandatory for the Liberty, and at the same time it should extend the hitch point far enough back that the spare tire does not interfere with the hitch. I know ours has plenty of room, we can even swing the door open a foot or so with the spare tire on and the trailer hitched. We have even used our spare tire mounted bike rack with two bikes on it!

Tags
3124, jeep liberty