TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
HappyWDWCampers

Default Hensley WDH

Does anyone use a Hensley WDH with their TM?? They came out with the new cub and I am trying to decide if it is necessary with the low profile TM. I know if we were getting a traditional TT I would definitely invest in the Hensley but right now I am not sure if I need to spend that much on a WDH for the TM. But, I would definitely spend the $$ for the safety...
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWDWCampers View Post
Does anyone use a Hensley WDH with their TM?? They came out with the new cub and I am trying to decide if it is necessary with the low profile TM. I know if we were getting a traditional TT I would definitely invest in the Hensley but right now I am not sure if I need to spend that much on a WDH for the TM. But, I would definitely spend the $$ for the safety...
I am about to take delivery of a new 3326 and plan to install a Hensley Cub on it (waiting for the hitch to arrive). I have a lot of experience towing a 4,000# Pop-up tent trailer and know that it can get a little tricky in difficult driving situations. My decision to use a Cub for this new trailer (5,100# loaded) is strictly based on safety concerns if I get into a difficult braking or accident avoidance situation.

I know from reading many, many posts that most all of the members of this forum would consider a Hensley unnecessary and way overkill.

There is plenty of collective experience on the forum that says a standard WDH is more than adequate (and perhaps they are right). The majority would also say that sway control is unnecessary (that is the principle advantage of the Hensley over a standard WDH).

My dealer says it is unnecessary and the TM factory Rep also says the same thing. I chose to go with my instincts, even though the cost is nearly 10 times the cost of a standard WDH.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry
2010 TM 3326, 3,900# Dry, 15" tires on Dual Axle
2004 Suburban 1500, 7,500#GTWR ,12,000# CGVWR

P.S.
I forgot to mention the Hensley will not work on the swing hitch versions of the TM and the spring bar jacks have to be removed (not difficult) to allow the TM slide out models to "slide out"
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote