TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2002, 04:40 AM   #1
KB7OUR

Default Balancing TM Wheels

I've come across some interesting posts on the Web regarding wheel balancing for TT's. It makes complete sense to me that one should do this so I will be taking them down to the shop one at a time (only have one jack and no stands) to balance them. I'm curious just how unbalanced they are now and will report back. Funny thing is I never thought of this before even with our Coleman PU. No mention of it in the TM manual either, but doesn't it make sense that you will get the best wear and smoothest ride possible from balanced tires (assuming you watch the pressure too)? Has anyone else done this?

Wade
Old 11-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #2
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Balancing TM Wheels

The first chance I got, I had my tires balanced (including the spare).  It's inexpensive and should make for a better ride.  It also should make the tire hold up better for the long run.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:04 AM   #3
oilspot

Yes, I too balance my trailer tires.

When I replaced the tires on my first trailer (starcraft pop-up), the shop was amazed that I would balance the tires.  Yet when I asked them if it would reduce vibration and improve tire longevity.... they said of course it would...

Hence I always have my trailer tires spin balanced.

PS:  My brother had a little trailer for his BMW racing equipment (pulled behind his BMW).  He had a tire that literally hopped off the ground and eventually wore down to the cords in just one spot the size of my hand.  He said he had never heard of balancing trailer tires....
Old 11-18-2002, 03:44 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to balancing them  off the trailer? I would have thought that backing the TM into the service bay, and having them spin-balanced right on the trailer, would have produced even better results.

Of course, some shops are equipped to do this and some aren't ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
oilspot

I imagine it is the same concept as balancing car tires...

Without getting everybody all riled up about spin ballancing... I consider myself a tire balancing fanatic (LOL). ;D

I've tried lots of machines and styles of balancing tires, as I tend to be a perfectionist.

After years of searching for the perfect "money is no object" balancing job; I have determined that the operator of the machine has more influence on the balance job, than the machine itself.

The on the car balancing appealed to my perfectionist desires but didn't solve my problems.  On the car balancing seemed to have a limited application where it worked well... and it seemed more or an art than science.

The machine that seems the most idiot proof (at the present time) is the Hunter GSP 9700.  This machine can analyze the tire, the wheel, and the proper alignment of the tire on the wheel (have you ever wondered what the red or yellow dots on a new tire were for?)

But the best balance job I've ever had was done on a regular machine by a very precise technician.  The tires were balanced to the nearest gram!!  It took about 30 minutes per tire.

Fortunately, I'm not as demanding for my trailer as I am with my vehicles.  I watch for odd wear or vibration and let the local store handle the trailer tires.

Just my $0.03, but I love to talk tires!