TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
frednga

Question towing a 3124KB,just put a deposit down

I have a Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 engine.Does anyone know if I need a wd hitch to tow 3124 KB? I have read that they are not necessary for large vehicle.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We need two things - the wheelbase of the vehicle, and the distance from the rear axle to the hitch ball. The rear axle weight rating would also be helpful, along with an estimate of the amount (weight) of stuff you plan to carry in the bed.

However, the answer is "almost certainly not". I would suggest that you start out without one, and see if you have any handling squirrels. A few of our members have experienced them, and found that a WDH helps a lot, even though it is technically not necessary.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
frednga

Default thanks Bill,wheelbase is 140" and from axle to ball will

be approxiamately 4'. I have a adjustable shank and ball hitch made by Putnam.I think I can level the trailer with it.I have been pulling a Palomino Mustang popup 6149 that is 2700 lbs.dry weight and 19'10" travel lenghth with no problem.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

It might depend on how much load you carry. These threads offer some discussion. Particularly impressive was mtnguy's experience that a 480 pound tongue weight added 700# to his rear axle, something to consider with your 4 foot overhang.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7573

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7495

I would use a WDH in every case where the front fenders rise when hitched, on the theory that I don't want to lose any steering or braking capacity when I'm towing.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Here's another thread that contains Mtnguy's numbers at the scales:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ar+axle&page=2
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Default Towing with 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednga View Post
I have a Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 engine.
I know your question concerns the WDH, but the 4.7L engine caught my attention. What year is your Dodge? If it is an earlier model vehicle the 4.7 might be marginal. The later models have a 4.7L-HO which has much better torque.

2001 4.7 L 295lb-ft @3200, 235 HP @ 4800
2008 4.7L HO 329lb-ft @3600, 302 HP @ 4600

My 2001 Durango has one of the early model 4.7 engines and it has abismal torque. So bad that after a recent trip over Berthod Pass in Colorado, I decided I have to have a new tow vehicle before I take another trip with any steep roads. And I live in Colorado so I know that will happen more frequently than not. In fact, we are headed to Golden Gate Canyon SP in 2 weeks and there is a 19% grade road that approaches the campground. We will take a roundabout route to get there to avoid any problems.

Depends on where you will be camping on how much of an issue this is.

You'll enjoy the 3124 though - we have one and have been thrilled with it!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I towed my 2005 TM 2720 for 3 years with a Chevy 1500HD crew cab with the 6.0 engine.

Up until this summer I never had a need for a WD hitch. However I now have a motorcycle in the bed of the truck, plus tools, gas and some other stuff and it started to sag enough that a WD hitch was in order.

So I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD instead. It does not sag.

My Chevy has more power than I needed. I was able to run on cruise control going uphill in the Sierras at over 6,000 feet.

I have never been to Georgia, where it appears you live. I am pretty sure that you won't be towing over the types of mountains that I routinely do. As long as the ground is relatively flat I would think you will get by with the smaller engine. You will have to carry less stuff than I do.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

I tow a 3124kb with a 1st generation Toyota Tundra which also has a 4.7l engine. The WDH is a have to have for me as the tongue weight of the camper coupled with the load in the back of the truck bring the backend of the truck to it's knees so to speak.

Of course I also have the camper and bed of he pickup loaded with crap as we are on a very long trip.

trex

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
frednga

Default thanks

Thanks for all the help.I bought a used reese wdh from the dealer and he installed it.Pulls as good as my popup did.