TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
gocntry

Default Trailmanor Weights ??

Hi,
New Owner With A Simple Question. I Just Purchased A 2008 2720, The Trailmanor Brochure States:

Gross Weight 4075 Lbs (Appx dry weight + appx load capacity)
Minus Appx Dry Weight: 2742 Lbs
Minus 46 Gallons Water: 382 Lbs
Minus Propane Weight 40 Lbs
= 911 Lbs For My Stuff

On The Sticker In The Trailmanor

GVWR 4166 Lbs
UVW 3095 Lbs (This Is Dry Weight??)
Minus 46 Gallons Water 382 Lbs
Minus Propane 40 Lbs
= 649 Lbs For My Stuff

My Question Would Be Sticker Shows 3095 Lbs Dry Would Be The Weight Of My Trailer With Options Added To The Weight - And The Brochure Weight Of 2742 Would Be Without Options Added??

The Brochure GVWR Of 4075 Would Be Approximate And My Sticker GVWR Of 4166 Should Be The True Weight I Should Never Exceed?

And If The Trailer Dry Weight (going by the sticker) Is 3095 (weighed by factory??) Then I Should Weigh Everything I Put In The Trailer For A Good Estimate Of The Gross Weight Of The Trailer??

Thanks For Any Input

Jeff
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I can't be sure, but the lighter weight (in the brochure) appears to be the dry weight of the basic trailer, before any factory options are installed. The sticker in the TM itself probably reflects the unloaded weight of the trailer as equipped. In other words, in this case the factory options are accounted for, and some of them (the air conditioner, for example) weigh quite a lot. The weight of the options uses up some of the "load capacity" listed in the brochure, which makes sense.

By the way, do you plan to travel with empty propane tanks? If not, then your "for my stuff" numbers must be reduced by the weight of the propane. Same question for water, both in the fresh water tank, water heater, and in the gray/black tanks.

One other thing. Note that the bottom line weight exceeds the rating of both the tires (3750 pounds) and the axle (3500 pounds). The difference is the tongue weight which is carried by the tow vehicle.

I really dislike these weight games, but everyone seems to play them, and the terminology is seldom consistent. It is for this reason that I suggest that owners not plan to load up their TMs right to the limit - leave some margin. If you really feel the need to come near the limit, the best answer is to load up the TM with everything you will want for a trip, hook it up to the tow vehicle, crank up the spring bars, and then weigh the TM axle. (By the same token, you should also weigh the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle if you have any thought that you are near their spec limits.)

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote