TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
KANTOQUAD

Default durango tranmission cooler

I currently have a jeep liberty and was driving down hill (sierra nevada) in the rain with my 2720 in tow. On a curve it was really pushing me. Enough so, that I went to the dodge dealer and looked at durangos, they have great deals on the last few 2006 models. None have a tow package, he told me they can hitch and wire it for 650 dollars. I asked about the transmission cooler, he said they already put it in all durangos with airconditioning. Any input?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you rummage around the Chrysler/Dodge web site for long enough, especially the technical areas, you should be able to find out what is included in the factory towing package. It will certainly include the hitch and the wiring, and may include a limited slip rear end, or a different rear-end ratio. If the factory tow package also includes a transmission cooler, your dealer is lying to you - otherwise he is probably telling you the truth.

It may be hard to find this info - for my Explorer, it took me an hour to find it on the Ford web site, and when I found it, they called it an "aux oil cooler" (meaning transmission oil, rather than engine oil). But it should be there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
meriflower

Hi Kantoquad - I would perhaps try calling Chrysler and confirm that information. Could be that the dealer is just telling you that to make a sale. Another option, most dealers will let you take it in for a vehicle check. If you have a mechanic that you trust, I'm sure they can look and tell you whether or not it has one or not.

We basically did the same thing this past weekend and traded in our Liberty for a 06 Jeep Commander. Not because we had trouble with the Liberty towing but that we want to get a bigger trailer than the Liberty could tow (a Hi-Lo 22T). The Commander didn't have the hitch but the dealer will install and do the wiring at no cost. Our friend is a certified mechanic and we confirmed it with him that it did have a suitable tranny cooler needed for towing. This was on a Jeep product not sure if Chrysler does the same for their Dodge vehicles.

Good luck!
Nancy
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
edweidig

Default Tranny cooler

You should be able to look yourself to see if there is a tranny cooler. There will be one more (small) radiator looking thing besides the radiator and the air conditioning radiator. Perhaps beside or under the air conditioner radiator.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
KANTOQUAD

just got back, there is a cooler
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
meriflower

That's good! Have you decided to get the Durango then?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
KANTOQUAD

yes, we are, It sounds like a much better tow vehicle.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

I'm a little late (by over a year!) weighing in on this thread, but for anyone concerned about this question in the here and now, be sure and check the towing package specs for any vehicle you are considering. I have a 2001 Durango with factory towing package, and besides the obvious tranny cooler, hitch and wiring, it also has a heavy duty radiator, larger alternator, and bigger brakes. May even have a heavy duty battery - can't remember right now.
Hope this helps.
Alan