TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
momof2

Default Wannabe, but first I have to have a tow vehicle!

Hello,

I'm no longer a lurker! I first saw the TM at a camper show in Nashville TN last year. I was so impressed and now I've got the bug. Growing up we had a Hi-Lo, so I've had some exposure. I currently drive a Dodge Dakota Quad cab approching 100,000 miles. We've started looking at new trucks and I want to go on and get a tow package on it. We're looking at a Honda Ridgeline, another Dodge Dakota, and probably before all is said and done Toyota and Nissan mid-size will get a look see. My main question is what do I need to know about tow packages. I've read on WDH and some of it greats real technical. What is a brake controller, is it best to get it installed at purchase time or wait until we get the camper? What about sway bars? Now or later.

What ever the vehicle, we will be towing a 2619 swing hitch with ( about 16" left in the garage) or a 2720 swing hitch (no room in the garage).

We will be camping in the Middle TN area. Relatively flat, with the excepting of Mt Eagle Mtn. (I think 6% grade over 4-6 miles.)

Any help deciding on the tow vehicle would be appreciated, any middle or east TN owners input extremely welcome!

Thanks so much!
momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, Mom -

You have a nice group of tow vehicles to choose from. My feeling (which is common but not universal), is that you should choose a tow vehicle rated at 5000 pounds minimum - a bit more will make things easier on both you and the vehicle. The vehicles rated at 3500 pounds are simply inadequate, since a loaded TM will weigh close to, or over, 3500 pounds. Also, choose a vehicle with an honest-to-gosh frame, not a unibody construction.

As to the other questions:

Any manufacturer's Optional Tow Package should have what you need. This will include a Class III (or better Class 4) hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring connector mounted beside the hitch, probably an aux transmission cooler, possibly a numerically-higher rear axle ratio, and possibly an upgraded suspension.

As to the brake controller, most any vehicle with a tow package will have the appropriate electrical connector under the dash - you just plug in your chosen brake controller. However, you should confirm that your vehicle has this connector, and make sure your dealer shows you where it is. In choosing a brake controller, look for the word "Proportional". It should cost about $100 or a bit more - stay away from cheapies that sometimes show up in the $50 range. If you are new to brake controllers, I would suggest a Prodigy - there are several good controllers out there, but a Prodigy (Tekonsha, Inc) is perhaps the most well-known, it is very well-respected, and there are a lot of folks on this board who can answer any questions. Installation can be done by your vehicle dealer, but he will probably charge a lot. All you have to do is screw it to the underside of the dashboard (preferably by the driver's right knee), and plug it into the connector mentioned above.

Sway bars? No, you don't need them.

Weight distributing hitch? As a rule of thumb, a 3/4-ton truck can get away without one, though the ride and the sense of control may be better if you have one anyway. A 1/2 ton truck should have one. You should expect to pay on the order of $250 for one. Buy one with two springbars (not one), rated for 800-1000 pounds - less is too little, and more is not needed. They are available from many manufacturers, including Reese, Draw-Tite, and Hidden Hitch. There is very little involved in installation - you hang the springbar brackets over the frame rails, and tighten a bolt to hold each one in place. There is some setup that is a bit fussy, though not hard. Be sure you read the tutorials about Choosing a WDH and Adjusting a WDH, both found in the TM Reference Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else).

Keep us posted. You're having fun, asking good questions, and learning a lot.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
PopBeavers

FWIW, my 2720, when fully loaded with all my stuff and water, weighs 3380 on the TM axle. So the total TM weight is probably 4000 to 4200 pounds.

I recommend you either have a TV capable of towing at least 4500 pounds, or take less stuff than I do.

When doing the math for weight capacities, don't forget to factor in the people, fuel and additional cargo in the TV because it counts towards the total.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
northwest campers

FYI, we have been towing a 06 TM 2720 with a 04 Chrysler Pacifica six cylinder with a tow rating of 3500lbs. Had a transmission cooler installed on the Chrysler and a class 4 hitch using Robins tension bars. We have been getting 15 to 18 mpg and only notice some power reduction traveling up mountain passes. That's the beauty of a TM. Light weight, easy to tow and decent gas mileage to boot.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest campers View Post
FYI, we have been towing a 06 TM 2720 with a 04 Chrysler Pacifica six cylinder with a tow rating of 3500lbs. Had a transmission cooler installed on the Chrysler and a class 4 hitch using Robins tension bars. We have been getting 15 to 18 mpg and only notice some power reduction traveling up mountain passes. That's the beauty of a TM. Light weight, easy to tow and decent gas mileage to boot.
Have you weighed it?

When I weighed my 2005 TM 2720, it was 3380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue, but if the tongue weight is 15 percent of the total, then my TM weighs 3976. That would put you 400 pounds over the TV rating.

Perhaps you take less stuff than I do.

I believe that there is a difference between towing overweight and knowing that you are towing overweight.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

If you can hold off a little while Both Ford and Chevy are supposed to come out with a half ton pick-up that is powered by a desiel. That will give good milage and plenty of power.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Country Girl -

Any idea when that will happen? I'm one of the ones who could hold off a little while (couple years), but not forever.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Have you weighed it?

When I weighed my 2005 TM 2720, it was 3380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue, but if the tongue weight is 15 percent of the total, then my TM weighs 3976. That would put you 400 pounds over the TV rating.

Perhaps you take less stuff than I do.

I believe that there is a difference between towing overweight and knowing that you are towing overweight.
Sorry, but I don't remember if you use a WDH. A WDH will transfer rear axle weight both forward to the front axle and aft to the trailer. So adding a static tongue weight to the trailer axle weight with the WDH spring bars loaded would overstate your trailer weight.

In any case, your trailer is not his trailer. If you can get get 16-18mpg in a recreational vehicle by taking less stuff along, I'm thinking that's a pretty darned good trade.

This from the TM web site (emphasis mine):

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Ca...owVehicles.htm

"Tow Vehicle Ratings

Tow ratings for vehicles should be described as “general guidelines”. Actual towing limits depend on towing speed, highway grades, elevation, desired acceleration, miles towed per year, tow vehicle loading, frontal area of trailer, sway resistance of trailer, etc.

TrailManor provides uniquely easy towing per pound due to the very low wind drag and the very stable ride resulting from axle placement.

Light duty towing of a well-balanced trailer a few hundred pounds above the rating is much safer than towing a lighter, poorly balanced unit with a tendency to sway. Also, towing an upright trailer with large frontal area at highway speeds can damage a transmission even if the trailer weight is below the tow rating.

Adding options, batteries, gear, fluids can increase loaded weights as much as 1000 pounds above the base weight of a specific trailer. You should add 500- 1000 pounds to the base weights to estimate the actual towed weight.

Based on feedback from our owners, we provide the following model guidance:

MODERATE TOWING CONDITIONS
Mostly low altitudes, only occasional steep grades, part time service, normal highway speeds - Models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound tow rated vehicles and Models 3124 through 3326 need 5000 pound ratings.

SEVERE TOWING CONDITIONS
High mountain towing, full time service - all models will perform better with at least 5000 pound rated tow vehicles.

Chances are, you already have what it takes to tow a TrailManor."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Bill,I was told they would be 2009 models.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Sorry, but I don't remember if you use a WDH. A WDH will transfer rear axle weight both forward to the front axle and aft to the trailer. So adding a static tongue weight to the trailer axle weight with the WDH spring bars loaded would overstate your trailer weight.

In any case, your trailer is not his trailer. If you can get get 16-18mpg in a recreational vehicle by taking less stuff along, I'm thinking that's a pretty darned good trade.
I do not use WD, TV is big enough to not need one.

Therefore, the axle weight is what I measured. The tongue weight is an unknown, since I did not weigh it. Clearly, my loaded 2720 weighs in excess of 3500 pounds, just don't know by how much.

It would be easy to get lighter if I wanted to. I carry 46 gallons of water, that is 386 pounds. I could leave one propane tank off for a weekend trip. Since i have a generator, I really only need one battery instead of two when not using the furnace. That saves 55 pounds.

If we ate out all the time we would not need the food and the dishes, just the beer.

The point I was trying to make was if you just load up and go with no thought, it is easily possible to hit the 4000 pound mark. The only way to know is to weigh it.

If you know you weigh 4000 pounds and choose to tow overweight, you can do some compensation, such as extra space for stopping.

If you think you are at 3200 pounds but you really are at 4200 pounds, you might find yourself surprised at the wrong time.

It is not difficult to get a 2720 up past 4000 pounds. I do it every trip out, even for just two nights.

Don't guess, spend 10 bucks and weigh it.