TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
FourEyes45

Default 08 Jeep unlimited Rubicon and 2720SL

We have a 32'Cougar 5thwheele with a 05 Duramax that we are going to sell. WE have ordered a 08 unlimited Rubicon Jeep and hope to get the Model 2720SL. we want to go out west for 6-8 weeks. We will dry camp some (already have 2 2000K honda's Gens.)Want to use the jeep to get to areas that the Chev. will or cannot go.
Thanks,
Walt
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Default Welcome Walt

Hi Walt,
As you no doubt have seen, this forum is loaded with good information on just about every aspect of the TM/TV combinations. Use the search function to find out about almost anything or ask away...I recall alot of discussion regarding Jeeps as tow vehicles in case you are interested.
Welcome,
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
FourEyes45

Mark---Thanks --yes I have look a lot of reviews. It helps. Im used to the DMAX with all of its power, never slowing down on mts. Thanks for the info.
Walt
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
mtnguy

Walt,

I tried out a new Unlimited Jeep a couple of weeks ago, and that puppy is sweet. I was looking to maybe replace my current 98 Wrangler 4 banger (which I do not tow the TM with). So, I did some research on the towing abilities of the new unlimited for local trips around in this area, for the same reason as you want the Jeep.....a little 4 wheeln' on camping trips.

Regretfully I decided against the new Jeep, for the following reasons:

116" wheelbase is marginal at best for towing a 20' trailer.

The V6 engine is marginal also, but doable, especially with the 6 speed manual transmission.....you have a good choice of ratios with all of those gears.

The Jeep comes with a 4 wire trailer harness.....you would need to do a bunch of rewiring to get everything up to the 7 wires needed for the TM.

IMHO, the hitch is not doable. It is a class 2 hitch rated at 3500 lbs, with a 2" reciever. This hitch might be OK for towing a light boat to the lake, but not for towing something like the TM. Most class 2 hitches have a 1 1/4" receiver, for good reasons....so that you less likely to hook up something that would overload the hitch. Also, class 2 hitches are generally not recommended for WDHs. I would think that you should want to use a WDH with this vehicle. The weight carrying weight of a hitch is generally rated ~10% of the total hitch pulling rate...which in this case would be 350 lbs. The listed tongue weight for a 2008 2720sl is 392 lbs., and that probably doesn't include full propane tanks, and definitely doesn't include all of the other stuff loaded for camping....water being 1 of those.

I could have added the extra wiring, and replaced the hitch with an after-market class 3 (or better yet, a 4), and the Jeep might have been OK for towing the TM on local trips to the mountains around here. But even with all of that done, the Jeep came off of the line rated at a 3500 lbs towing capacity, and that is what would probably be considered if you were ever in an accident. With a loaded TM ready for camping, you are probably over this towing weight, and probably the GVWR for the Jeep.

For me, I don't that is a good setup for long distance towing. I decided since I couldn't tow my TM with a new Unlimited, then my old Jeep does just fine. And like you, I have another tow vehicle available for heavier applications.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Chap
Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
FourEyes45

Well----WE done it--We are keeping the DMax and 5th. wheel--stoped by the local camper dealer today and they had a Like new Palomino Mustang Fold down camper for $9400 its 19' with a slide out. Still under warranty. We will take this on our Vac. out west this year. We will be giving up a lot of comfort from the 5th. wheel . But want to go where we can not take the DMax and 5th. wheel. OR we CRAZY or NOT. I'm 65 and the Wife is 62.
Thanks for all the Help.
Walter
Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Enjoy, be happy, otherwise the only flavor would be vanilla.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote