TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Shandysplace

Default Towing Safety

Although we have only about 250 miles on our rig (to/from dealer), we encountered some towing safety issues upon which the comments of those forum members more experienced would be appreciated.

Stop lights: We've no problem with red or yellow, but we've encountered 2 close calls with greens. We have many traffic lights in our town between our home and the major arteries we'll use. When approaching green lights, we both get stressed because we have no way of knowing when it will turn yellow and whether we're correctly able to make that split second decision to attmept to stop or roll on thru the yellow. In one instance the light turned yellow and we decided to roll thru. There was another car approaching to make a crossing turn and decided to do the same thing--slammed the brakes and the car just missed us. I'm sure with more experience this issue will be easier, but not totally stress free as our TM and our Suburban together count for 95% of the Suburban's GVWR rating. For now what seems to work best is on approaching any residential green we slow down sufficiently such that if it goes yellow at the worst possible time, we can safely stop.

Freeway Lane Management: Nearly all of our mileage so far has been on multi-lane freeways with numerous entries/exits and lane squeezes from as many as 5 down to as little as two. Also, the slow lane is used primarily by big rigs and is so poorly maintained that the freeway has a wash board surface that's very hard on us and the TM. Based on our limited experience and subject to comments from forum members, we've decided to ride in the slow lane at 55mph on any 2 lane road/highway/freeway. For 3 or more lanes we'll ride at 55 in the lane to the immediate left of the slow lane avoiding most entry/exit issues and giving us ample time when lanes are squeezed down. When changing lanes we give lots of time with the turn signal and are surprised that most drivers give us room to pull over. Also while riding in that lane at 55 with cars zooming past on both sides (65/70mph speed limit) we were unable to detect any upset drivers.

Hills/Grades: The many posts on this forum on this issue have taught us to downshift going up any significant grade and slowing to 45. Starting down we immediately downshift to 3 and down to 2 if it's really steep to keep speed between 35-45 with minimal brakng. For the 2 laners (e.g., CA-1) with many blind curves we slow down going up or down and always pull into the turnouts.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
mtnguy

Sharon & Andy,

Stoplights: For me, I pretty much keep my speed, but am prepared just in case that puppy turns yellow, then make the decision whether I can safely stop or not. I definitely don't want to be in the intersection when the light turns red, as so many people seem to do now a days. And regretfully, you also have to determine if the guy behind you can safely stop so that he doensn't plow into you, expecting you to continue. I have gone through a couple of late yellow lights trying to avoid a situation like that, even though I could have safely stopped if that idiot wasn't on my bumper.

Lane Management: I try to travel in the right lane unless there is a lot of merging going on, when I will use the left lane. On a 3 (same direction) road, I like being in the center lane. That lets the fast cars go by on the left, and merging traffic to do their thing on the right. But we don't have the freeways that you do out there, so I am unfamiliar with the road customs there.

Hills: On a long uphill, I will take the TV out of overdrive. If it downshifts after that, it will usually stay in that gear without a lot more of involuntary shifting. As for the downhill, unless it is really steep, I again leave the overdrive off, but in drive, and things seem to work pretty good. There is an old truckers unwritten rule, that you go down a mountain in the same gear you go up, but that was before Jake brakes. Another thing to think about is that brakes cost a lot less to repair than an engine. Rev the engine too much going down hill is not good on it. You will have to play with your setup to see what best works for you.

Chap
Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
When changing lanes we give lots of time with the turn signal and are surprised that most drivers give us room to pull over.
That surprises me too, as you also live in close by to us in CA. We've experienced quite the opposite, unfortunately. I hate driving through LA, it's the absolute worst. I have no problems driving around LA with my little car, but towing a trailer is another thing entirely. The last time we went through there we had to make a left exit to get onto another freeway (quite unexpectedly, no advance signage or warning) and we almost didn't make the turn because nobody would let us in. The next time we have to go through there I'm going to print out an internet map with detailed directions.

I drive home from work on Highway 1 coming north into Santa Cruz from Castroville/Monterey (a two lane highway). When the highway turns into 4 lanes, there are always big trucks trying to get into the slow lane that starts there, and although the truckers put their signals on, trying to get into the slow lane, there are always people who don't want to slow down for 5 seconds to let them get into the lane but insist on going around on the right. And then once one person does it, there are usually 3 or 4 more who follow right behind them. I think that most people don't have a clue as to what's involved with towing a trailer or driving a big rig in heavy traffic.