TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Joe

Default Possible Goodyear Recall

Here is some interesting news from Goodyear. It doesn't mention trailer tires but the tire size is nearly the same as is used on the TM 2720.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer Satisfaction Campaign Notice: Consumers Offered Exchange of Certain P215/70R14 Kelly Brand, Associate Brand and Private Label Tires
#23533ti.1107

· Tire names include Douglas, Kelly, Mohave and Republic
· No defect found in tire after extensive analysis
AKRON, Ohio, November 30, 2007 – The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is conducting a precautionary customer satisfaction campaign to exchange certain P215/70R14 tires sold under a variety of names in the United States and Canada.

"This precautionary campaign is in response to our internal analysis and review of early warning data we monitor on our tires," said Sim Ford, manager of Goodyear’s government and customer compliance. "The company has determined some of these tires have experienced adverse service conditions that have led to a tread separation, and in the interest of customer satisfaction has decided to replace qualifying tires.

"After an exhaustive analysis, no design or manufacturing defect was found in the tire."

The tires, all in size P215/70R14, were made from 2003 to 2006 under 23 names of Kelly, Associate brand and private label tires including Douglas, Kelly, Mohave and Republic. A complete list of the private label brand names involved in the program can be seen at Goodyear’s website www.goodyear.com.

The replacement tires were sold through a variety of locations. The tires were predominantly made for application on older model compact pickup trucks and minivans which mostly were manufactured in the mid-1990s. Goodyear estimates approximately 400,000 of these tires might still be in use.

Consumers can have their tires checked at any Goodyear dealer location, or at their original point of purchase. The company will replace these tires with the Goodyear Regatta II, a premium tire with an excellent customer satisfaction history.

"While our analysis of this tire hasn’t found a defect, consumers need to remember that all tires need to be checked regularly and ensure they are properly inflated," said Ford. "In general, statistics show the vast majority of tire failures are related to tires that are used while under-inflated, overloaded, poorly maintained or have suffered impact damage."

Goodyear is one of the world’s largest tire companies. The company employs about 70,000 people and manufactures its products in more than 60 facilities in 26 countries around the world. For more information about Goodyear, go to www.goodyear.com/corporate.

330-796-1136
11/30/2007
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

I can't imagine anyone using tires that were manufactured up to 15 years ago - unless, perhaps, they are on a farm trailer towed behind a farm tractor!

In my own experience, exposure to the elements is a good enough reason, alone, to consider new tires every five to seven years. For me, it isn't worth the risk to overlook sidewall checking, etc.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The tires, all in size P215/70R14, were made from 2003 to 2006 under 23 names of Kelly, Associate brand and private label tires including Douglas, Kelly, Mohave and Republic.

The tires were predominantly made for application on older model compact pickup trucks and minivans which mostly were manufactured in the mid-1990s. -
I see where this can be confusing. I believe that Goodyear is talking about the trucks and minivans, that run this size, being manufactured in the mid 90's and not the recalled tires themselves, which were made from 03-06.

These smaller trucks and minivans now run 15 inch tires. Mostly a 225/70/15.

Funny thing: The last 2 tires we sold today before closing were 215/70R14's. Deja Vu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon
In my own experience, exposure to the elements is a good enough reason, alone, to consider new tires every five to seven years. For me, it isn't worth the risk to overlook sidewall checking, etc.
That is great advice
Old 12-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Oops!

Wmtire:

You are too kind!

OF COURSE that's what it said (vehicles, not tires, made in the 1990s). It's time to put down my beer and clean my eyeglasses!

Kindest regards,
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote