TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
blackdog720

Default How far will he get?

Its not really funny, but I had to post this

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I hope he doesn't plan to go into the mountains in the background! It's going to be hard to steer with his front wheels bouncing up off the ground like that.

On a more serious note, this situation is extreme, but it illustrates exactly why a weight distributing hitch is needed. There is so much hitch weight behind the rear axle that it has lifted the front end nearly off the ground. The WDH would take some of the hitch weight off the rear axle and tailgate (??!!??) of that poor station wagon, and put it back on the front wheels where he desperately needs it. And I think you can also see that air bags or helper springs or load-levellers might boost the rear end, but it still wouldn't put any weight back on the front wheels.

Of course, this situation is so extreme that no WDH is going to fix it. But when the situation is more moderate (as in most tow vehicles pulling most TMs), a WDH is really a good thing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

My son sent me an E-Mail with this picture and the following two. It was titled RED NECK ROCKET SCIENCE in Utah!

Here is the caption for the first, and the other two pictures.

Red Neck Rocket Science…

This lesson is on how not to do things seems to totally escape some people. I'd love to see how the trip ended up but I feel confident he ended up in a ravine somewhere wondering why bad things seems to always happen to him.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../image0011.jpg

He's hooked up and ready to fly!! It's amazing how the extra weight really smoothed out the ride in the truck. He did have to air up the rear tires a bit (around 160 psi)

http://home.earthlink.net/~keiths.ha...RedNeckTV2.jpg
He added some heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate (note that he used the "Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain) He also paid-up for some BIG 5/16 sheetmetal screws to attach the frame to the tailgate. Yeah, he knows its overkill, but he didn't want the possibility of having an accident.

http://home.earthlink.net/~keiths.ha...RedNeckTV3.jpg
Much of his time was spent on his front porch whittling down that MASSIVE 4x4 board to fit precisely into the ball mount receiver. Also note that he used a 14" piece of 1x4 to help distribute the load more evenly--"YOU CAN"T BE TOO SAFE, YOU KNOW!!". " It cost a little more, but you just can't be too safe when pulling a trailer of this magnitude !!".

Even if it was a prank, he shure spent a long time setting it up...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

But you missed the most important part. The TV and trailer are color coordinated.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo View Post
But you missed the most important part. The TV and trailer are color coordinated.
Apparently quite a bit of planning went into this combination. LOL!