TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
blackdog720

Default looking for opinions on my tv

I just joined this forum and would like opinions on my TV. I am moving up from a pop up to a 3023. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (103" WB). I have done many mods for off road driving like extra armor, a lift, 285/75x16 load range D tires, winch etc. I even have an aftermarket roll cage (just in case).

In order to pull the pop up I put in 5.13 gears and installed a Vanco big brake kit (larger diameter front rotors and 48mm dual piston calipers)

I plan to add a supercharger for more engine power. Any thing I may be missing? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

At 116 inches of wheelbase, you have adequate length. (Use the search tool to find several discussions of "wheelbase".) But it looks like the factory specifies the towing weight at only 3500 pounds. That's pretty small, and you may not like where you end up.

Take a look at the current discussion about the Saturn Vue.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
grakin

I don't think I'd want to tow even the 2619 I have with something with that wheelbase, nor with the lift kit, nor probably with the tires.

It's probably got enough power to pull it just fine, but the problem is that you've got a vehicle designed for off-road use (low speed, rock crawling, etc) on a highway doing a very different purpose if you put a TM behind it. With the light weight of the Wrangler, and the short wheelbase, if you need to take evasive action at highway speed, I'd be *very* worried about what would happen to the Jeep when the TM goes by it on one side.

One more thing - I don't know if you're thinking you could take the TM to some pretty interesting off-road locations or not, but most of us would be very hesitant to tow the TM off of at least improved gravel roads. Some have done a bit more, but the TM is not really an off-road beast. If that's what you're looking for, you might be happier with some of the off-road popups. (that said, I think the TM is a wonderful trailer - but the same can be said for a whole lot of different RV options, but not every one would be right for everyone)
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
wmtire

Blackdog, don't forget that all of the mods you added to your jeep (bigger tires, armor-skid plates, winch, I assume winch bumper, lift, etc) have all added much more weight to your vehicle. You have to figure all of this into the equation, in determining how much more strain you can put on the engine/transmission/rear end gears by pulling a trailer
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Don't overlook the center of gravity of the TV.

I used to drive jeeps for several years, MB, CJ3A, CJ3B, CJ5. At freeway speeds they were not stable, because of the short wheel base and also the high center of gravity.

Putting taller tires on the TV and lifting it to improve off road clearance is not going to improve the ability to perform a panic stop in a turn when towing. Watch your downhill speed.

Fortunately, when I rolled the jeep, no one was hurt. I hope to never experience that again.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Texas_Camper wrote
Quote:
Blackdog said in his original post that his tv wheelbase was 103". Then Bill's reply was about 116".
Leon -

I'm a bit confused, too. I went to the Jeep website to look up the specs. What I seem to see is that the wheelbase for the basic Wrangler is very short - only 90-some inches. The Unlimited is the long wheelbase version, and I see it listed as 116". The Rubicon name is apparently just a trim package, and has no effect on wheelbase.

A wheelbase of 90-some inches is dangerously too short. A wheelbase of 103 inches is still seriously short, especially for a 3023. A wheelbase of 116 inches is adequate. The problem might be that the Jeep website gives specs for the 2007 Wrangler family, while Blackdog has a 2006 model. Was there a big change? Maybe.

Blackdog should know his vehicle, and I don't mean to contradict him.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
mtnguy

I think the 103" WB is for the 2 dr. Unlimited, and the 116" Wb is probably for the 4 dr. Unlimited.

Chap
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
blackdog720

I am dropping the idea of towing with the Jeep. I bought a used Chevy Silverado C1500 pickup. 141" WB, 5.7L vortec with tow pkg. Should be a much better choice.