TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
FightinIrish

Default Cargo racks at TM rear hitch

I just purchased an 04 2720SL and it did not have a hitch installed for a bicycle rack, etc. I am in the process of contacting TM to assure an aftermarket hitch is okay, as I have seen on several others and am sure it is. My question is, have any members actually put a cargo rack on the back opposed to a bicycle rack? My thoughts, and I am taking into consideration the weight issues, but my thought is instead of having a cooler in the back of my tow vehicle, an 07' FJ Cruiser, which can get crowded with cargo and our 4 1/2 year old lab, having a cargo rack slid into the receiver at the rear of the TM. I would imagine the cooler with ice and such wouldnt weigh in excess of 40 lbs plus the weight of the hitch and the rack itself. I have a concern or question about the low height of the rack and was wondering if anyone has seen a rack that has, for lack of a better term, a gooseneck on it which would actually raise the height of the rack to accomodate for the low hitch location at the bumper?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Irish, Cabelas sell a "Z Bar" that will raise the rack about 7 to eight inches.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

I added a receiver hitch to the rear of my TM, and have a cargo rack with a nylon bin which is used for bikes, lawn chairs and maybe a few other not-too-heavy items. While the rack is rated for 400 lbs, I added a 6" extension to it, so I'll keep it to a 200lb max to play it safe.

Nice way to haul bulky but light weight stuff. Also great when just taking the TV alone to the beach, picnics, nursery, etc. So far so good.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb load carefully...

REMEMBER: Since your rack-mounted stuff is so far back from the TM axle, you might need to change your packing strategy-- more weight towards the front of the Trailer, so that you maintain enough weight on the hitch.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
AZTRLBLZR

Default Cargo Racks on TM rear hitch

We have factory installed receiver on our TM, there is a tag by it the says do not exceed 100 lbs. We have used rack with more than 100 lbs, and the sway was very pronounced.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
FightinIrish

Luckily, the model we purchased has a weight distribution hitch which will aid in this but I understand about the being careful when loading. Thanks to all for the info.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Thumbs up That's EXACTLY the problem you're having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTRLBLZR View Post
We have factory installed receiver on our TM, there is a tag by it the says do not exceed 100 lbs. We have used rack with more than 100 lbs, and the sway was very pronounced.
YES! (I'm thrilled that my post was directly applicable to this discussion. ) When there isn't enough tongue weight, the trailer hitch will tend to lift and "sway away" from the tow vehicle's line of travel. A WDH balances the hitch weight from the TV's rear tires onto the TV's front tires, but with or without a WDH you need that downward force at the hitch ball to keep the tailer from wandering sideways.

BTW, some weight on the actual A-frame, way forwards from the TM axle, will have a more pronounced effect on hitch weight than stuff inside the TM (loaded closer to the TM axle). So, if you want to carry bicycles AND chairs or other stuff, it would be helpful to put the bicycle(s) on one of those hitch bar - mounted bicycle racks. The weight of the bicycle would help to balance the effect of all the stuff which you're loading down onto the far rear end.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
FightinIrish

Agreed, I always had a boat and have trailered equipment and the like so I am pretty familiar with how weight and the location of weight affects the ride and attitude of the trailer.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Using weight and balance formulas and some assumptions on the basic weight of the TM here's what you get for tongue weights:
2002 3426KS placarded empty weight is 1350 per wheel with 490 lb tongue wt.
Add full propane, 20 gal fresh water and 6 gal hot water, 2 gal in the thetford, and for my unit 130 lb batteries in the left aft cargo compartment you get a total weight of 3716 lb and a tongue weight of 517 lb. This is before you have loaded anything else.

Add 200 lb to the bumper and the tongue weight decreases to 389 lb.
Add 400 lb and the tongue weight will drop to 273 lb.

Careful loading forward of the axle will help negate some of the problem, but now you start to get into max weight issues and tire problems.
R_W

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote