TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
jack & cindy hamilton

Default 4runner test drive

after installing the wd hitch i took our 2720sl out for the 1st time towing with the 4runner. living in cen pa & there are some nice hills to pull thru. the set up was great. better than i thought. we live at the top of a 8/9%grade and it actually picked up speed. very pleased
the only hitch was the rear view which consisted mostly of my wife holding her head out the window and telling me what was back there - not acceptable!
i'm about to try some of those mirrors that extend onto the existing mirrors with clamps though some say the independant type that strap and clip onto the door or fenders are better. i'd go that way except i worry that the strap vibrating in the wind will damage the car finish.
i'll let you know
jack
Old 09-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
ragmopp

Jack,

I have had the McKesh mirrors for over 3 years now. They replaced those clip on ones that kept falling off my old Tacoma. I have NEVER had any problems with paint issues whether on my old Tacoma or the new one. In fact my current Tacoma is a 2005 and is Speedway Blue, which in that year had known paint chipping issues. I have a few chips elsewhere (from rocks) but nothing wrong with my paint in and around where the McKesh mirrors strap on.

You can't go wrong with these mirrors. Now off to Vancouver BC...

Mike Anderson
Old 09-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Geoffrey Card

Default Mirrors

I have the design of extension mirrors which are held onto my existing mirrors with rubber straps and location clips. I have never had any problems with these and believe that in part their success is the fact that the rubber straps flex and absorb the shock when they are hit by strong wind gusts. After 14,000+ miles of use I do not have any damage to the paint on my mirrors as I take the precaution of applying blue 3M Scotch masking tape to the top and bottom edges of my mirrors and also under the line of the rubber straps. This is a low tack tape and even when it was on for two months during our recent Alaska trip it was removed easily without any paint damage.

I have also found that to prevent the rub marks that you get on the sides and across the roof of your TM, particularly after very long trips, you should apply white 3M duck tape to the rub lines. This tape is very durable and can simply be changed perhaps once a year to maintain a smart appearance.
Geoff Card
2005 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD
2002 TM 2619
WDH
Old 09-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
mtnguy

Check with Toyota and see if they have a extension mirror specifically designed for your vehicle. We bought extension mirrors from Ford for our truck, and they work great.....pefect fit, easy to install, no vibration, and no cosmetic damage.

Chap
Old 09-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card View Post
I have the design of extension mirrors which are held onto my existing mirrors with rubber straps and location clips. I have never had any problems with these ...
Geoffrey -

How far apart are your extension mirrors? Most states have laws regarding the sight lines. It is discussed in

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote