TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
jack & cindy hamilton

Default toyota 4 runner?

i am about to buy a toyota 4 runner 6cyl to tow my 2720.
any comments
it has a factory hitch but i don't see anything about a tranny cooler or anything like a tow package.

anyone out there tow with one? or have any info?

jack
Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

What year 4runner?
Do you plan to camp/travel in primarily flat terrain or mountains?

This website has a lot of good info on towing.
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.htm

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jack -

Make sure that hitch is a Class III/IV. A Class II hitch (the opening is 1 inch square, rather than 2 inches) is standard on small SUVs, mostly for the "cool" factor - but in this case it will do you no good.

You need to ask about a tow package. Not only do you need a tranny cooler and the Class III/IV hitch, but you also need a 7-way Bargman electrical connector. They normally are all part of the factory towing package.

At 109", the wheelbase is kind of small. Use the Search tool, or review recent threads, on Wheelbase.

Finally, you'll be happier with the V-8. Not only is the extra horsepower/torque a good thing, but it is rated for more towing capacilty. The (new) V-6 is rated for 5000 pounds, which is adequate but barely, depending on where you tow. The small V-8 will give you a little more margin - and you won't beat up the engine and transmission as badly. If you are going to tow in the Rockies or the Sierras, you will be a lot happier.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
ddnavar

Jack and Cindy
Many of the 4-runners "99 and above" with a factory installed hitch also have a built in transmission cooler which is part of the engine radiator. You will have to get under and look for the fluid lines that go from the radiator to the transmission. It is more than adequate to keep the transmission cool.
If you see a small radiator in front of the engine radiator "4X6"", than it will not be adequate to cool the transmission.
I have a factory hitch in my 99 4-runner... but someone who knows about all the 4-runners through the years may have a different opinion.
I saw Bills post after posting mine and he is correct. The largest v6 or a v8 only. The factory hitch should be a class 3 hitch.
The toyota 4-runners are very stable towing the TM. I tow a 3124KS and the drawbacks are the climb up 7% grades and coming down the 7% grades with the thin rotored brakes.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Randy

Jack and Cindy,

I tow a 2720SL with a 2002 4Runner. The combination has worked very well for us (two of us). Gas mileage is acceptable (15 - 17 mpg depending on wind, speed, etc). The power is certainly not blistering but it is adequate. We have not tackled the Rockies towing the TM yet but have gone over the Appalachians with no problems. The only draw back I can think of are 1) the back seat of the 4Runner is not be very comfortable for teenagers or adults on anything but short trips. 2) The 4Runner is a narrow vehicle. I have to have my mirrors extended to their fullest extent (McKesh) to have adequate vision behind. Good luck with your decision.

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question WHICH 4Runner V6 (new, 2005+, 2003-2005, Gen-3, older) ???

Looking backwards, there's some significant changes in the "V6" drivetrain which affect the 4R's towing ability (a lot):

2005: V6 engine is unchanged from 2004 and 2003, but the Tranny had a big upgrade.

2003: "Gen 4" 4Runner. Huge engine upgrade (from 3.4L, no VVTi, to 4.0 Liter VVTi all-aluminum). Huge increases in power and torque. iAlso a big upgrade on the differential, and the frame.... a radically different vehicle than the "Gen 3" 1996 - 2002 models.
- - - - -
So it's a serious question, WHICH "V6" and "Tranny" and "frame" are you getting?

If you're talking 2005 or later (like my new one), the Tranny Cooler is built in, even on the V6. I don't know about the older 4 speed used in 2004 or 2003. The hitch structure on my new V6 is slightly less sturdy than the V8, but plenty strong enough for a TM. (Although Bill is perhaps the greatest person here, his very uncharacteristic post #3 seems to be guessing that the 4Runner is just another uni-body crossover, which it AIN'T. The Gen-3 and newer versions have REAL frames and REAL hitches, Tranny Cooler and Bargeman connector already there. And the Prodigy break controller goes on in about 3 minutes. In fact, Prodigy's installation mini-DVD shows the installation of the controller into... a 4Runner! )

Power on the V6, although significantly less, than the V8, is still pretty good. My 2005 V8 (totaled in January when a guy died and then rear-ended us at about 50 MPH) would happily drag the TM UPHILL in 5th, even on significant grades-- and the torque converter would stay locked when doing so. (If it unlocks, downshift: you should drive in 4th with the Tranny locked, rather than 5th with the Tranny gears sloshing around. Gas mileage will be better and you won't be heating up the fluid as much.)

I'm hardly ever below 4500 feet; I live at 6K, and our TM hauling has often gone much, much higher, up to a bit over 10K. With the lesser V6, we'll definitely be shifting down to 4th, or 3rd on the passes. (Such as Donner Summit from the Nevada side, on Sunday ) At 9K and higher, on steep grades, the V6 might even be forced to crawl along in 2nd. But maybe not--- I haven't tried CA 108 yet And even in 2nd, with 4 valves and the well over 5K redline

Old models of the 4Runner are MUCH less powerful than the 2005 and newer versions, and you'll be puffing at altitude. In the old days, people had to put on after market hitches, with weak connections to the frame.

What model year are you getting? If new, we might be twins, almost.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Bill ... seems to be guessing that the 4Runner is just another uni-body crossover ...
Ah, not so, gwasshoppa! Even the new Ford Explorers come with a Class II hitch as standard, even though it is definitely a body-on-frame vehicle. It is not unreasonable to ask if the 4-Runner, a smaller vehicle, might also come with a standard Class II hitch, regardless of the type of frame.

But I'm glad that's not the case. It makes things easier for Jack.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
jack & cindy hamilton

thanks for all the help.
we have a 2720 and the 4runner we hope to get will be an sr5 6cyl.
previously we towed a HR alumalite 30' which weighed in at 12k loaded.
we towed it thru 48 states with a '97 f250,460 with 4.10rear.
that worked ok but was the trucks limit. going from dinasaur nat'l monument to yellowstone was a bear (no pun). i wouldn't try it with the new set up but would hope to be able to go from yellowstone to cody with little prob. that would be the limit of what i would try.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink FROM Yellowstone to Cody....

is easy! But Cody TO Yellowstone, I think that's the question

The grade and altitude of US 14/16 into the East Entrance is fairly gentle-- roughly comparable to Donner pass, which we did with our "heavy" 2619 yesterday. But because it's more twisty, you won't be able to sustain 60 MPH, and so you'll be in 3rd most of the time.

No problem. You know that Teddy Roosevelt, a man who traveled through A LOT of places, called that road the most beautiful in the world? But I think he missed by 20 miles-- he never had a chance to travel the NE entrance US-212 route. But with an extremely steep grade up from Red Lodge, and topping out at almost 11,000, you and I would be spending a lot of time puffing hard in 2nd (at best).

If you arrange to leave by way of Mammoth, you could return to Cody via 212 and 296 "Chief Joseph's Highway" instead of taking the same road out.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ah, not so, gwasshoppa! Even the new Ford Explorers come with a Class II hitch as standard, even though it is definitely a body-on-frame vehicle.
wow, that's impressive (in a really bad way, if they want to attract buyers like me.) BTW, although Explorer is longer (both the vehicle and wheelbase), 4R is wider (both the vehicle and the track). I haven't driven an Explorer in almost 2 years, and have no idea what improvements they've made.