TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
PopBeavers

I would start out without the WD hitch. You likely have enough TV to handle it.

Measure the height of the rear bumper before and after hitching the TM. If it sags a lot, (what ever that is) then a WD hitch may be in order. Mine sags about an inch, maybe a little less.

I also would not plan on a long trip until after you have determine if it is adequate without the WD hitch.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
roarin

I thank everyone for their input. It sounds like a WD hitch could help move some of the tongue weight back to the trailer. I only need to move about 200 pounds off the TV. Not hauling a full tank of water would also help. However in the past I have never camped anywhere that had water hookups. Therefore I have always filled up the fresh water tank before leaving home. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool 700 lbs is a bit heavy for a 2619, I think

Even if you're targeting 15% tongue weight, 700 lbs on the tongue would imply a total 2619 weight of over 4600 lbs. There is one reason why this could make good sense:

The tires, and the axle, are rated at about 3500 lbs. So if you're gonna run REALLY HEAVY, then you need to put more weight on the TV (via the tongue). The WDH will put some of the tongue weight (roughly 1/3, it depends on wheelbase and overhang lengths versus the TM) back on the TM, but most of it (the other 2/3) goes forwards onto the TV axles.

Fresh water weighs (IIRC) about 10 lbs per gallon. With a 20 gallon (standard) tank, 200 lbs is quite a load, and it's quite a ways forward of the 2619. I've got a 40 gallon tank, if/when I travel filled up that's a huge load. (Although I might be needing to travel filled-up for genuine boondocking in the future.)

But why travel at the limits of the tires, if you don't have to?

If your destination has a water supply, avoid this weight by filling the water tank when you get there. (Good for the tires, good for gas mileage too.) If you're hesitant because of water quality, you can buy pretty decent carbon filter... and/or carry just a couple of gallons for DRINKING from your home RO system. (This is an issue where I live: mercury-laden mine tailings are everywhere.) Store drinking jugs on the 'curb' side, to help balance weight of the factory-tank on the 'street' side (if filled full or partial). I shove 'em under the seat, next to the heater.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Not to disagree with Rick but if you carry filled 1-gal water jugs anywhere other than the TM's tub you may want to sit them in a plastic dish pan or similar. There are a lot of sharp edges in and under the cabinets and those thin plastic water jugs will probably be looking for something to puncture themselves on when bouncing around.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Thumbs up Yeah, we throw spare towels and bedding around 'em.

N/t